[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Upcoming forced usage of Nexon launcher annoyance

Comments

• CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited February 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    TL;DR: "I don't like change, so I'm going to lash out over it"

The launcher's come a long way. There are still issues, but if they start focusing mostly on it instead of having to worry about people who direct-launch the game, then I see no reason to think they won't have those issues sorted in short order. At least it doesn't download the entire game again if you try to launch the game while the servers are down anymore. And any remaining issues it has at this point aren't so bad that simply restarting it or, rarely, your entire computer won't resolve them.
    the nexon launcher is garbage and buggy as all hell though (at least for maple), I'd rather not use it to update/ launch maple. it's way too inconsistent on working properly and updating the game properly.
    AKradian
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    I don't think my oldest computer can even run a browser, the Nexon Launcher, and the Maplestory client, all at the same time.
  • JaridavinJaridavin
    Reactions: 435
    edited February 2017
    If they are going to force the use of Nexon Launcher, they can first fix some key issues, including ones I am currently seeing since I am one of the users of it.

First off, patch speed. Why does it take this thing so long to start. I have to sit with, "Updating files" for what feels like forever before I get a filling bar. I use two games on that launcher, Maplestory and Mabinogi, and if there's one thing Mabi didn't break, it's that patching. However, using a different way in, I patch just fine. Hell, I've had to before for it to even start, because it'd open up the game unpatched in the past and make it impossible to play.

Second, opening times. It takes so much longer for me to open it up using the game launcher compared to other methods. That delays us going in, which can kill interest. I don't want to spend a lot of time waiting to get in. I want to be killing the cute sprites in my hunt for blood. This is even worse when the previous problem happens, because it just means I'm waiting even longer.
  • iamflipiamflip
    Reactions: 560
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Update: So for kicks and giggles, I tried reinstalling Maple on a different hard drive than my solid state drive and then running it through the launcher.

First attempt was pretty bad. Maple locked up and crashed on the character select screen. Launcher was stuck at "Currently in-game," with no game-related processes running. The only fix was to reopen the launcher.

Second attempt: Once I got to the character select screen, I waited for EVERYTHING to load, and then promptly made a new Kanna (to take advantage of the rewards) and got in-game. All of this while the mouse cursor was on the Maple window the whole time. (In previous experiences, Maple would crash for no reason if the mouse strayed away.)

So yeah... Maple and the Nexon Launcher is still finicky. It's like taking care of a baby... have to be gentle and patient apparently. <_<
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited February 2017
    iamflip wrote: »

So yeah... Maple and the Nexon Launcher is still finicky. It's like taking care of a baby... have to be gentle and patient apparently. <_<

More like even logging in involves RNG.
  • XariappaXariappa
    Reactions: 655
    edited February 2017
    Forcing the use of the Nexon Launcher forces me to restart the complete game from scratch for each account I am using to maintain my Monster Life farms. In other words, this will be the end of XippaFarm and XarroFarm, both with 22 lvl 30 grade S regular monsters and some special ones. Having to restart the game from scratch for each account that I use to generate gems to keep those monsters alive is going to be way too much work.
    On behalf of all my farm followers, thanks Nexon :-(. To my farm followers I have to say sorry, I can't maintain them anymore after March 23 :-|
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited February 2017

The launcher's come a long way. There are still issues, but if they start focusing mostly on it instead of having to worry about people who direct-launch the game, then I see no reason to think they won't have those issues sorted in short order. At least it doesn't download the entire game again if you try to launch the game while the servers are down anymore. And any remaining issues it has at this point aren't so bad that simply restarting it or, rarely, your entire computer won't resolve them.

There are a lot of issues with the launcher, and it's bad for those who have multiple accounts (for whatever reason). Nexon is basically forcing us to use a system that's inferior, without trying to fix some of the key issues that others have covered here and on Southperry. Your adamant defense of Nexon's behavior in this case reminds me of a quote by the Blackbustercritic: If someone craps, someone else will eat.
    Bahamut_XCatoooloooLilyflower
  • XariappaXariappa
    Reactions: 655
    edited February 2017
    "... simply restarting it (the game) ..." It already takes how long to get started after launching the game. Even on a fast computer.
  • iamflipiamflip
    Reactions: 560
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Xariappa wrote: »
    "... simply restarting it (the game) ..." It already takes how long to get started after launching the game. Even on a fast computer.

Agreed. I have a decently beefy rig. I even had Maple on an SSD. The results turned out not as I expected as any reduction in loading times was negligible on an SSD as opposed to a HD.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2017
    Deathmobs wrote: »
    I don't mind change if it's for the better which this isn't so stop bashing out at me on all my posts thanks. Any extra add on makes things worse for games which are completely not needed. Not everyone has beast computers you know?

I swear just make posts to raise your post count and not even read the full content of what people say ,Because if you did you would see my reasoning of why I dislike the fact they are doing this.

I would just ignore him, I don't think he even plays the game to be honest.

Find something new to go after me over please. You literally do nothing but go "I bet he doesn't even play the game lmao xd". The three separate times I've posted a half-dozen screenshots of every single character I have prove you to be both wrong, unoriginal and unimaginative.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017

TL;DR: "Someone criticized a decision of Nexon's, so I have to put them down."

If the Nexon Launcher works for you, that's great.
    It doesn't work, or works poorly, for many others.
    Nexon's plan to force us to help them debug it, by taking away the launcher that does work as it should, is a bad plan and deserves to be criticized. I repeat: the Nexon Launcher should be perfected before the direct launch is taken away.
    PirateIzzyHHG1BooberpuppyLinksMissingCatoooloooLilyflowerSkyTheDestroyerZeldaOfHyrule
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited February 2017
    I feel like nexon thinks if it works for some people it works for everybody, or if it works in their office it works for every pc out there in the world....
    PirateIzzyLinksMissingLilyflowerSkyTheDestroyerZeldaOfHyrule
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

Nexon's plan to force us to help them debug it, by taking away the launcher that does work as it should, is a bad plan and deserves to be criticized. I repeat: the Nexon Launcher should be perfected before the direct launch is taken away.

Doesn't really help when every single thing they do is criticized. No matter what it is, it's either not good enough, or not fast enough. No one's ever happy with anything they do. And please, spare me the past two months' worth of server issues, I'm well aware at this point, since you and everyone else just loves to whine about it in every medium they can get away with. But what I'm talking about goes back far beyond that. I can't think of a single thing Nexon has done in the past year that the community as a whole has gone "well hey this is pretty awesome, good job Nexon!". Can you find one thing that the community hasn't sat here and complained about?
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    Reactions: 2,440
    edited February 2017
    I agree. The GameLauncher.exe is a good diagnosis tool to get the game up and running when the Nexon Launcher goes haywire. While the Nexon Launcher has slowly gotten better, the alternative launcher is a good emergency stop gap to get the game up and running just in case.

Removing its functionality isn't a good idea on any level. There have been numerous times I've had to use it. It works plain and simple. It's not immediately available, but having it there is not hurting anything.

I honestly would like to know the rationale behind this change, because it seems there has been a lot of changes just to make changes, but few real improvements to the overall experience. We all should know by now change for the sake of change is reckless and never has a good outcome.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Heck my games fully up to date, I run Nexon launcher and it asks me to Update and then it just sits on Updating files unless I cancel it. I am very aware of the specs required for playing this game which are total nonsense as private servers with all this stuff run the game much more smoothly , they just increased the specs as an excuse for the game being like it is

Steam launch as I said it's just extra hassle getting the game to launch and not as stable from what people keep saying., I always suggest them using the gamelauncher as it's always been the most secure way.

Everyone was having problems with Steam some months ago and I was logging in just fine with the gamelauncher. Sure gamelauncher patches really slow but I would rather a slow patcher over a more stable game. Although they could easily just fix that slow patching.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

Doesn't really help when every single thing they do is criticized. No matter what it is, it's either not good enough, or not fast enough. No one's ever happy with anything they do. And please, spare me the past two months' worth of server issues, I'm well aware at this point, since you and everyone else just loves to whine about it in every medium they can get away with. But what I'm talking about goes back far beyond that. I can't think of a single thing Nexon has done in the past year that the community as a whole has gone "well hey this is pretty awesome, good job Nexon!". Can you find one thing that the community hasn't sat here and complained about?

Just because they're constantly criticized doesn't mean they're not contantly messing up.

Yes, some criticism is unjustified, and when that happens I defend them as well.
    But you've taken it to Neospector levels, where Nexon can absolutely do nothing wrong, ever, and it's always the players who are too demanding.
    Try to find some balance.
    LilyflowerZeldaOfHyrule
  • LinksMissingLinksMissing
    Reactions: 735
    edited February 2017
    Another middle finger from Nexon to their players.
    Lilyflower
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    edited February 2017

@Aggraphine - My god, you are a stubborn one. Yes, some times there are ridiculous and outright nitpicky complaints floating around on here, but this is one a very critical decision that will more or less impact every player in a negative way. You are very much looking like a fool for calling every one else wrong for not wanting to see this happen.

This potential forced change is a terrible idea for obvious reasons. As a company, you don't just go shoving only one option down everyone's throat like this when that option is nowhere near perfected, very unstable, will inevitably cause many people many more problems than necessary, and most especially when we already have a more stable option that almost every one uses...BECAUSE IT IS CURRENTLY THE MOST STABLE OPTION. That adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind, and what they are doing is removing something that already works pretty well with something that is overall flawed and broken.

Holding off with this change until the time comes where the Nexon Launcher works as well or better than the GameLauncher is obviously the better choice here. I honestly can not believe that you do not see this simple fact, and have even resorted to attacking others in this thread just to stand your ground with your white knighting for Nexon.

So whether you like it or not, you damn skippy we're gonna speak up on this one. I encourage every one who sees this thread to spread this message and do everything we can to let Nexon know that we do NOT want this change!
    LilyflowerZeldaOfHyrule
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    From what I've heard there also is no indication of whether an account is suspended or not when logging in via the Nexon Launcher. The only way to tell is to either log a ticket or simply check by logging in through GameLauncher.exe.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, this is what I've heard from other people being puzzled over why their game won't launch properly, and then it turns out they're banned.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    You know what else makes me angry?
    The fact that they're very obviously lying to us about the reasons for this change.
    If they really wanted to "focus their efforts on Nexon Launcher", the first thing to go should have been the Steam launcher. The Steam launcher is problematic and glitchy at times, and requires developer attention to keep working. GameLauncher.exe is stable and reliable and has needed no attention in many years (they did update its graphics but that was neither required nor complicated).
    The fact that Steam launching is staying but direct launch is being removed, proves that the reason given to us is not the real reason.

SadVirgin wrote: »
    From what I've heard there also is no indication of whether an account is suspended or not when logging in via the Nexon Launcher. The only way to tell is to either log a ticket or simply check by logging in through GameLauncher.exe.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, this is what I've heard from other people being puzzled over why their game won't launch properly, and then it turns out they're banned.

AFAIK, that is correct. I've often seen people complain, here or on reddit, that their client "crashes when selecting a channel" - and when they are advised to use GameLauncher.exe, they find out that they've been banned.
    I guess Nexon thinks that their customer support agents don't have enough work, so they need more people to say "ah, that's because you're banned" to.
    BooberpuppyLilyflowerZeldaOfHyrule
This discussion has been closed.