[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Can we discuss the forum rules?

KatzumiKatzumi
Reactions: 550
edited April 2017 in General Chat
According to this discussing the forum rules isn't against the rules, so hopefully this thread will not be insta-locked.

I'd also ask everyone to not ask for Aggraphine's ban reversal here as discussing bans is now against the rules, instead let's focus on the rules themselves and please remain civil.

Right now we have two new rules recently created by our new CM that are not listed in the Code of Conduct, these rules are 1) You cannot create new thread discussing forum bans, and 2) your actions in external websites will affect your account in the forums if the CM believes you to be the same person in the forums as in the external website.

Creating new rules by itself is not a problem, the problem is that threads are being locked and people are being punished before they are made aware the rules exist, which sets a really bad precedent where people could be impersonated in external websites and be punished here with no proof of link.

My question is, are there any plans to officially state what are the new rules in the Code of Conduct? Do we have other new rules beside those two mentioned? Are there any plans to review those rules to avoid scenarios like the one described above with impersonation?
TubaTanyaRenni

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    It seems simple enough to me: The rules are whatever Arwoo wants them to be, whenever he wants them to be.

Keep your head down and you (hopefully) won't get axed.

@AlexF: the ToS refers to behavior in games, and possibly by extension on Nexon's own forums.
    Or are you saying someone can get banned from these forums because they create adult content on DeviantArt?
    Booberpuppy
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Aggraphine did nothing wrong.
  • TwizzzlersTwizzzlers
    Reactions: 2,235
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Why are threads keep getting posted about the rules and Aggraphine. I am getting tired of his name popping up in the conversation. He told you why he got banned and discussing about new rules aint going to clear it up either. If you want to msg Arwoo if they are new rules please PM him instead of discussing it waiting until they lock this one too,
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Why are threads keep getting posted about the rules and Aggraphine. I am getting tired of his name popping up in the conversation. He told you why he got banned and discussing about new rules aint going to clear it up either. If you want to msg Arwoo if they are new rules please PM him instead of discussing it waiting until they lock this one too,

I did PM him.
    He didn't answer.
  • KatzumiKatzumi
    edited April 2017

Read

" I'd also ask everyone to not ask for Aggraphine's ban reversal here as discussing bans is now against the rules, instead let's focus on the rules themselves and please remain civil."

This is not about him, this is about the future of the forums and what is or is not allowed.
  • TwizzzlersTwizzzlers
    Reactions: 2,235
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Katzumi wrote: »

Read

" I'd also ask everyone to not ask for Aggraphine's ban reversal here as discussing bans is now against the rules, instead let's focus on the rules themselves and please remain civil."

This is not about him, this is about the future of the forums and what is or is not allowed.

Then why don't you message him as well discussing about it.

• JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    please PM him

Such an open community.
    xparasite9SpiritofMir
  • AccessAccess
    Reactions: 420
    edited April 2017

The reason this topic of Aggraphine's ban is being mention a lot is because it's setting a bad precedent towards any player who criticizes or voice their opinion about the game or the company itself on other sites. The only way that Aggraphine was forum banned is because his name matched with his forum name. There's no rules regarding as to what happens outside of the game/forum site. Also PMing the CM defeats the purpose of having the community aware of the issue. This is why threads on Reddit and on the forum are being made about this. Also note that locking threads makes the community mad as well as you are basically shutting down the topic that still offends the community.
    xparasite9Tuba
  • KatzumiKatzumi
    edited April 2017
    Katzumi wrote: »

Read

Then why don't you message him as well discussing about it.

Because this is a discussion thread where other people can add their opinion.
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited April 2017
    EA (Electronic Arts) takes it much further. If you offend them on any public forum be it their games, their forums, or reddit, or even on World of Warcraft. They ban you from everything they have control of. Often on first offense. And they would pull rules out of their butts that isn't remotely found in the ToS.

But I think that rules should be outlined before being enforced.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited April 2017
    Greetings everyone,

We've reviewed and thank you all for the concerns that were brought up in this thread.
    Please review OneLetter's note for our official response here:
    http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/11429/a-note-regarding-recent-communication#latest

Cheers!

Arwoooo~
    Twizzzlersbumbertyr
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    edited April 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Greetings everyone,

We've reviewed and thank you all for the concerns that were brought up in this thread.
    http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/11429/a-note-regarding-recent-communication#latest

Cheers!

Arwoooo~

I already gave up on trying to make a difference on these forums, so I don't really care if this thread gets closed, my comment gets deleted or if I get banned. At first it was the moderators who were being ordered to close threads and after reading about everything that's happened lately, it doesn't seem like you care to make a difference either. You actually took it a step further on Reddit so kudos to you lol. I think it's funny, in a not so funny way, that OneLetter decides to address this situation that has been occurring since the V update... now. I'm glad it took such extreme measures to make a bigger chunk of the community(not just us Nexon/bashers & haters) see Nexon's true colors. Now it's time for damage control as usual.

Well, let us all hope that the combination of letters used by OneLetter to form those words actually hold honest meaning.
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    edited April 2017

I already gave up on trying to make a difference on these forums, so I don't really care if this thread gets closed, my comment gets deleted or if I get banned. At first it was the moderators who were being ordered to close threads and after reading about everything that's happened lately, it doesn't seem like you care to make a difference either. You actually took it a step further on Reddit so kudos to you lol. I think it's funny, in a not so funny way, that OneLetter decides to address this situation that has been occurring since the V update... now. I'm glad it took such extreme measures to make a bigger chunk of the community(not just us Nexon/bashers & haters) see Nexon's true colors. Now it's time for damage control as usual.

Well, let us all hope that the combination of letters used by OneLetter to form those words actually hold honest meaning.

I hope so, too. Sadly, Nexon's managers seem to be jumping on the social justice bandwagon, where they can label anything they do not agree with or do not want seen (some times exposure of the truth) as "hate speech" or whatever other blunt description they can slap a label on. Take a close look at the wording of their responses and this is clear as day. They are shutting down your ability to speak freely, and it begins with moves like this. Moving across to punishing your actions from other forums is a form of damage control and intimidation to prevent further expressiveness. Unfortunately, they picked the wrong beast to tamper with and their current bad reputation among most players certainly does not help matters.

Go ahead mod guys, lock'er up if that is the only way you can "win" this fight, but know that you're only hurting yourselves in the long run. People will vote with their wallets, and I already have. There are a lot of other games out there to play. It's just a shame to see one of the best of the best take this dark turn.
  • xparasite9xparasite9
    Reactions: 2,000
    edited April 2017
    EA (Electronic Arts) takes it much further. If you offend them on any public forum be it their games, their forums, or reddit, or even on World of Warcraft. They ban you from everything they have control of. Often on first offense. And they would pull rules out of their butts that isn't remotely found in the ToS.

I feel it necessary to note how utterly reviled Electronic Arts is, by the gaming community.
    Really not a good example for other companies to follow.
    Greetings everyone,

That's really not much of a response. There's quite a bit that is left unsaid, which greatly makes me worry.
  • SpiritofMirSpiritofMir
    Reactions: 1,580
    edited April 2017
    Criticism of a company allows for players to shape the service the company is providing them to a collective's needs, wants and desires. It not only elevates any toxicity that consumers have against the company, but it allows for corporations to maximise productivity and profit if the consumers are happy.

A more localised issue here is that transparency is an issue between consumers and corporations. Having users PM instead of having an open discussion is absolutely disgraceful. It inhibits the community to call out on FUD that community managers may impose on players (even when we get called out, it really should be a two-way street); When threads are continuously being locked creates a sense of authoritarian silence of sensitive material ultimately infuriating others - people need a clear, concise and transparent explanation. It's not only delusional to think that a locked thread can shut people up, but it also hurts the company's image - As can be seen by OneLetter's obvious damage control thread.

Sure, the forum member may have spoken out of line on a fansite in regards to the structure of the Official MapleStory forums - and it was a tad too aggressive, but simply banning, locking and shutting up players, creating rules that are not apparent on the rules of conduct for forums and creating bland and non-specific hurts the viability of constructive criticism, the company image and releasing the toxicity of a community.
    UzumeFennekin
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited April 2017
    this is pretty important because it's something that has not been done before and and means you can be banned on the official forums for something that happened outside of the nexon forums which sets a very bad precedent.

I mean all they really had to do was ban him from that subreddit if theydidnt want him posting in that subreddit, but it feels like it was over reaching to ban him on the furms for somehting said on the subreddit (which has it's own rules and mods to enforce them)
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    this is pretty important because it's something that has not been done before and and means you can be banned on the official forums for something that happened outside of the nexon forums which sets a very bad precedent.

I mean all they really had to do was ban him from that subreddit if theydidnt want him posting in that subreddit, but it feels like it was over reaching to ban him on the furms for somehting said on the subreddit (which has it's own rules and mods to enforce them)

Nexon can't ban anyone from the subreddit.
    Only reddit mods can, but he didn't break any reddit rules, so why would they ban him there?
  • CubeProCubePro
    Reactions: 475
    edited April 2017
    Nexon can do as they wish...
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited April 2017
    Greetings everyone,

Cheers!

Arwoooo~

Honestly, I think it's very important to answer the OP's question. Are these new rules that you've created now set in stone in the ToS? If these new rules aren't solidified, there's no real reason for forumers to follow them. As of right now, they're essentially glorified suggestions.
    DaisukeHaruto
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    I agree with not discussing bans on the forums since it seems to only start heated arguments/FUD.

As for the external websites, this requires more detail. Can another player get you banned for reporting something you said on an external site? Because anyone can pretend to be someone they're not to get someone else banned. Please clarify.
    NoCuddles4U