[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Duplicated Item Removal

Comments

• ArcheryiArcheryi
    Reactions: 1,370
    edited July 2017
    WimpGMS wrote: »
    Sparklee wrote: »
    Moving onto the main point, I feel like Nexon is losing its playerbase just because of how little they care about them. Look at last week...we werent even informed that duped items would be deleted let alone even know that the items we had were duped and we spend so much money to buy duped gear without knowing and Nexon in return just deletes it and says bad luck?

I'm not sure if you were playing some 6 or 7 odd years ago, but there was an event where you could link your Nexon and Facebook accounts and earn rewards doing stuff between the two. You were required to provide your password through a site and it didn't work; it would keep saying it was wrong. I was suspicious enough to change mine and I'm thankful I did. Somehow hackers were able to leak all the usernames and passwords and (someway) compromise easily thousands of accounts. Just about everyone was stripped of everything they had and the forums blew up to epic proportions. Nexon said a rollback wasn't possible, so what did they do? Offered 20,000 NX to victims. $20 for the possibly hundreds, even thousands of dollars that had been pumped into gear and the CS.
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Nexon removed all duped items, which was the right thing to do. Allowing some duped items and not allowing other duped items to be removed would have been unfair. They have no intent to restore removed duped items, so the outcome will be the same regardless of what you say.

Lol the right thing? Again like many others Nexon has stolen hundreds of dollars from my pocket because they were to lazy and negligent to combat hackers. No other company in the world lets something slide for two years and then does something moronic like this two year delayed roll back on items. Diablo 2 was plague with these same issues and they never did a mass 2 year roll back. If they didn't catch it that same week they let the items hit the market. Over time the market will always fix itself. There is no reason to piss off your player base who unknowingly purchased duped items.

The hackers already made their money and flooded the market long ago. Duped Prime Scrolls etc. Reacting after 2 years is the wrong freaking move.
    Duped items are "stolen hundreds of dollars" from Nexon's pocket. What's your point?
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited July 2017
    Sorrow wrote: »
    Nexon removed all duped items, which was the right thing to do. Allowing some duped items and not allowing other duped items to be removed would have been unfair. They have no intent to restore removed duped items, so the outcome will be the same regardless of what you say.

Lol the right thing? Again like many others Nexon has stolen hundreds of dollars from my pocket because they were to lazy and negligent to combat hackers. No other company in the world lets something slide for two years and then does something moronic like this two year delayed roll back on items. Diablo 2 was plague with these same issues and they never did a mass 2 year roll back. If they didn't catch it that same week they let the items hit the market. Over time the market will always fix itself. There is no reason to piss off your player base who unknowingly purchased duped items.

The hackers already made their money and flooded the market long ago. Duped Prime Scrolls etc. Reacting after 2 years is the wrong freaking move.
    Duped items are "stolen hundreds of dollars" from Nexon's pocket. What's your point?

not really, duped items have only stolen money from the players that bought them because more often than not, a lot of items get sold and then recubed for better lines and if it didn't come with one, even given a neb, when the duped item gets deleted none of that investment is returned to the player that ended up with a duped item, which is a problem for people that shop for pre upgraded items. Even I can see that and I make/ upggrade all my own gear and never buy pre upgraded stuff.

I would be fine with the dupe removal if they could have provided some sort of return of investment made by the player that it was deleted from (maybe of just all the cubes and upgrading materials that the last owner put into it) as I agree a dupe removal is healthy, but considering how late they decided to remove them, there were considerably high amounts of player investment because they didnt know the item was duped, and so the players that had items removed should at least get back what they them selves invested in the item. I'm not saying that the meso (or $$ cause we all know there are some people complaining here that used PP or other services to get certain items *cough cough*frenzy*cough*) that they spent getting the item but if they payed for stars then they should get their meso back for the stars that player added to the item or they should get scrolls or spelltraces that they may have invested in scrolling that item after they got it.
    Lilyflower
  • BuntyBunty
    Reactions: 310
    edited July 2017
    I heard about this. I am returning after almost 5 years and this is still the issue: Punishment slaps the players who unknowingly buy "godly" items w/o knowing they are duped. The only ones who lose out are legitimate players. The duping will continue on as before and hackers/dupers will continue duping and selling to unsuspecting legitimate players. 5 years and nothing has changed. What a shame.
    xSakuraHime
  • JulyJuly
    Reactions: 2,720
    edited July 2017
    Bunty wrote: »
    I heard about this. I am returning after almost 5 years and this is still the issue: Punishment slaps the players who unknowingly buy "godly" items w/o knowing they are duped. The only ones who lose out are legitimate players. The duping will continue on as before and hackers/dupers will continue duping and selling to unsuspecting legitimate players. 5 years and nothing has changed. What a shame.

And what have we learned? Don't give dollars to other players for items.
  • SorrowSorrow
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Dupers dupe items to sell them for real money. Real money transactions are against the ToS, which everyone agreed to upon creating their account. Nexon lost more money than players did due to these duped items.
  • UnderInfluenceUnderInfluence
    Reactions: 100
    edited July 2017
    Why should reinstall the Laucher ?
    was playing well... and got dc. so now when started lauch goin download it.....! any help ?
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 2,060
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Hi Nexon,

Servers/channels are crashing = very high likelihood of duping. Also alot of no boom AEE showing up in bera's market. Are you going to be deleting these today or are you going to be deleting the items these have been used on 2 years from now 2 days prior to a double miracle time event?

Thanks for your time,
    The gms community.
  • Roni777Roni777
    Reactions: 1,180
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    You can blame Nexon, but they also victim. And players also victim in this regard. But hackers/dupers are all the blame in fault. Probably just buying equips/items from people we know who are legit. eventhough it doesn't give 100% guarantee, at least you will know where the items sources are come from. Though it will still be hard to identify. ANd if you would like, can try play in Reboot server. In reboot, no more trading equips and items. All players treated the same, no trade. We have to work hard to get the equips / items we want/need. It has been good for me so far. Also no pay to win. Tho the server is so crowded, expect to get ks once in a while. Also sometimes it laggs. But, I just enjoy it. Peace
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited July 2017
    Roni777 wrote: »
    ANd if you would like, can try play in Reboot server. In reboot, no more trading equips and items. All players treated the same, no trade. We have to work hard to get the equips / items we want/need. It has been good for me so far. Also no pay to win. Tho the server is so crowded, expect to get ks once in a while. Also sometimes it laggs. But, I just enjoy it. Peace

you can play like that on normal servers too, the thing is most people like the option of being able to buy good gears that are pre made (even though pre done gears have a higher chance of being a dupe), they also have the option of buying clean gears (less likely to be duped) and just doing all the upgrading them selves.
  • ArcheryiArcheryi
    edited July 2017
    You can blame Nexon, but they also victim.
    They also happen to be the ones in control of this game, meaning the problem could've been addressed considerably sooner. There have been plenty of exploits and hacks patched hours after going rampant that would've left smaller footprints in the time it took them to fix this one.
    eventhough it doesn't give 100% guarantee, at least you will know where the items sources are come from. Though it will still be hard to identify.
    Buying items from legitimate players doesn't determine their source at all. That item could've been traded a dozen times before you bought it and unless the seller you get it from has a record of all the previous owners, the only source you have is the seller. This makes it just about impossible, not hard, for players to identify dupes. Whatever system Nexon uses to determine what items have been duplicated should extend to players as well; an indicator of some kind to permanently mark an item as being illicitly generated. This way more suitable consideration can be made before players take risks buying or upgrading expensive gear.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Archeryi wrote: »
    Whatever system Nexon uses to determine what items have been duplicated should extend to players as well; an indicator of some kind to permanently mark an item as being illicitly generated. This way more suitable consideration can be made before players take risks buying or upgrading expensive gear.

Think about this for a moment.
    If an item could be marked as "duplicate" at the moment it came into being, it would not be allowed to come into being in the first place.
    Hackers use bugs in the software to make items appear without the game noticing that they shouldn't.
    When Nexon figures out what the bug was, they fix it, and then they scan the game logs to find all the times this bug was exploited, and track the items thus generated, and remove them.
  • TheStealerTheStealer
    Reactions: 100
    edited July 2017
    Madelion wrote: »
    This needs to be addressed! You punish people who dupe, not people who get items that are duped through trades/meso! There is absolutely no way to distinguish a duped item from a non-duped item!

There is, the heap is different I believe.
  • ArcheryiArcheryi
    edited July 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    If an item could be marked as "duplicate" at the moment it came into being, it would not be allowed to come into being in the first place.
    Hackers use bugs in the software to make items appear without the game noticing that they shouldn't.
    When Nexon figures out what the bug was, they fix it, and then they scan the game logs to find all the times this bug was exploited, and track the items thus generated, and remove them.
    It's not so much bugs as it is packet editing, but I get your point. The issue remains however: it took them 2 years to fix this?

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Archeryi wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »
    It's not so much bugs as it is packet editing, but I get your point. The issue remains however: it took them 2 years to fix this?

It is a bug that the server accepts those packets without checking.
    As for why it took years - I'd like to know, too.
    Its2Sharp4USlicedTime
  • PriorityPriority
    Reactions: 200
    edited July 2017
    Dupers dupe items to sell them for real money. Real money transactions are against the ToS, which everyone agreed to upon creating their account. Nexon lost more money than players did due to these duped items.

Moderator Note:

We do not allow for naming and shaming on the forums. Please read and follow our Code of Conduct here:

http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/6835/code-of-conduct
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    woah niceeeee finally hope this will go often and monitor/flag the owners ,would be huge plus keep with the work after whilee its nice to see

also i wonder (want know) like how people have so much meso to buy those duped items ( wich are not rly cheap) ?
    like to make that much meso legitly am sure you must know the fm well right? and be well mercher ? or there is some other way ?

like people talk 200lvl weap/frenzy and other good items as joke
    in my world those i heard goes atleast 200b~ and 300-400b for frenzy (+- less now as weeks goes people started kill legit but still not that cheap)
    how someone mange to make that much without knowing the boss info/market state economy/chek the seller/squad /where the item comes from/ what event gives/ how rare/what needs be done to get ... etc etc ?
  • MysteryMystery
    Reactions: 1,345
    edited July 2017
    On the one hand i'm pleased to see action being taken against hackers/hacked items. As a legit player that is something that makes me proud to play the game legit and to be a member of this community. However the actions that have been taken right now will also negatively affect alot of players that did not know their item(s) was duped. I stay away from shops that look like they are suspicious but there's no 100% full proof method to distinguish a duped item.
    So i have been thinking of a better way for nexon to solve this problem. Since it took so long for action to be taken and as a company you should not want your innocent players to be punished i think there's a full proof way to prevent unfair actions for the future.
    Since you are able to distinguish which item is duped and which isn't you should 'mark' those items as they are produced. That way legit players will know if an item is legit or not and if they still decide to buy that specific item they would have no right to complain if actions are taken.
    Maybe something to think about?
  • ArcheryiArcheryi
    edited July 2017
    ManiOh wrote: »
    also i wonder (want know) like how people have so much meso to buy those duped items ( wich are not rly cheap) ?
    like to make that much meso legitly am sure you must know the fm well right? and be well mercher ? or there is some other way ?

Merching is the most ethical way to get rich, yes, however it requires an understanding of the economy and the prices items go for on the market. Too low and you'll get ripped, too high and no one will buy. There are a few illicit ways to do it as well but I don't think discussing them here would be appropriate lol.
  • SorrowSorrow
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Priority wrote: »

I believe that you are sorrowful from youtube base on your name. If that's the case, you also violated the ToS by purchasing equips from iCrossBolt for real money. His equips might not have been duped; however, base on the stats, there is no way he would have sold it for meso. And yes, I'm singling you out on purpose. If you want to be act all high and mighty on here, get rid of the **** you bought for real money and then talk.
    I'm not Sorrowful from youtube and I have not violated the ToS since nothing in your post applies to me.
    Check yourself before you wreck yourself :)
This discussion has been closed.