[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How many years has it been?

TraitorHozamaTraitorHozama
Reactions: 490
edited August 2017 in General Chat
How many years has it been since I've been back to this site? For that matter, how many years has it been since I first played it. I feel like Professor Farnsworth after his lifetime membership card expired. I'm such an old school Mapler that my account has died and rotten to dirt. I don't even know if it exists anymore. I sure as heck don't remember my password, or even my login anymore.

Through sheer happenstance, I started to listen to the old maple songs I remember, and it got me all nostalgic and teary eyed for the old days. I wonder what the old MINT members are doing now? I'm sure everyone who remembered me has long since moved on with their lives. Graduated college, gotten married, maybe had some kids. Makes me feel old.

Don't get me wrong, I do not miss spending months and months just trying to get to lv 30. Hours spend outside KPQ, using auto-click, scouts and every dirty trick in the book in order to be the team that entered. How many dozens of hours did I spend grinding those undead monkies as a cleric? And LPQ, what a nightmare that was. Just as bad as getting into KPQ, but you had those whiners who did nothing but complain if you didn't know the JMS system for the password blocks.

Looking back on it, I cannot believe the amount of time I spend grinding. Literally hours on 2x time just for a level or two, and that was considered fast. I spent years grinding for hours every night in hopes that I could reach lv 90, and be allowed to join the Zakum raid. Yes, I said raid. Full teams of 30, to beat Zakum. The power creep is amazing. And the lag, OMG! The lag. It was a flip of a coin to whether you wouldn't lag out, no matter how good your comp was. But it was all worth it though for the chance to be put on the Zak helm list.

*Sigh* I just wanted to reminisce a little bit. The game balance was truly awful back then, and the grind was just unbelievable. But I'll never forget those times with my old friends. They were what made it bearable.
foussiremixIts2Sharp4UCatoooloooSlicedTimeGlirotusYinYangXThonerparkjinwoonomicidyl

Comments

• Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited August 2017
    I'll be referencing this archive in particular: BasilMarket What Came When in GMS

Since you haven't mentioned any other areas or classes past Ludibrium I can only assume from back in 2006.

All I can say is that back then Old MapleStory at the time had the perfect mix of both updates and the community. It was a major success.

But I wouldn't say to bring it back either. If anything I would say the modern MapleStory is missing something, or rather missing a few things to that the old had which is why it isn't as popular today.

For the MMO I first started out with and have stuck with till this very day unlike any other games, I'm a bit surprised I'm still here. Maybe a bias opinion but nevertheless my own.
  • TraitorHozamaTraitorHozama
    edited August 2017
    I do know I hung around on my Cleric until the ToT was released and maybe a little after Big Bang. Hackers were so freaking bad back then. Vac hackers and no-clippers on every single popular map. At least as a cleric, I got to train in the unpopular maps.
  • ZanzlerZanzler
    Reactions: 100
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    If my googling is correct, it's been 12 years. 12. Wow. 8 for me personally. Good times.
    edited August 2017
    I actually checked the rankings, and found one of my old(ish) characters. So much has changed over the years, for good and bad.

I can't deny, there is a part of me what wants to redownload the game, and look around for a while. See all the new bosses, classes and areas.
  • halisxhalisx
    Reactions: 520
    edited August 2017
    You should, just to see what's changed! I started playing when there were only four classes and never made it past level 25... the grind was no joke.

Even so, I've always come back to the game every few years. I miss the camaraderie from the old days, but Reboot has been a pretty awesome experience so far. I'm not into leveling all that much now, but it's nice making it all the way through Ludibrium for once :) And it's interesting that there's an overarching story line for the game, if you care too look. I'm going through the blockbusters and really like the dimension they add.
    edited August 2017
    If I did come back, I am not sure what I'd play. Due to not knowing my old account, I'd need to start completely new. That means no funding or linked skills. Not a pleasant prospect.
  • KhongiKhongi
    Reactions: 2,140
    edited August 2017
    I'm still hoping one day those original temp medals from the very first pie vs cake end up being a permanent medal... someday. They kept changing the event sightly each year since that but the original one was still the best to me.
    edited August 2017
    So, anyone got a suggestion for an old farty mcfart fart who might decide to come back? Something that doesn't need funding, because old account is gone.
  • TrystarrTrystarr
    Reactions: 1,550
    edited August 2017
    So, anyone got a suggestion for an old farty mcfart fart who might decide to come back? Something that doesn't need funding, because old account is gone.

Hey surprisingly Nexon is super cooperative with lost accounts, probably because a lot of the population is the likes of us- people coming back to the game after years of a break. If you know ANYTHING about your account, like your email address you used or just your login, and upload a piece of government id (i know thats excessive) you'll get it back in a week. I did this last year for my old maplestory account, and they had no problem giving me the account back. I even told them I lied about the DoB and it wouldn't match up with my id lol. Definitely worth the try. But if you do play again for a casual experience, play reboot server. atleast you'll have a chance at being competitive without spending +1000 bucks, anyone playing the main servers without spending the money is simply not even comparable.
    edited August 2017
    Okay...... What's the reborn server? Something in the back of my mind is ringing, but I'm not sure.

Also a question. Can you ajust and reassign linked skills from the login screen, or do you still need to go to every single freaking character one by one to link multiple skills to one character? I hated doing this every time I make a new class.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited August 2017
    Okay...... What's the reborn server? Something in the back of my mind is ringing, but I'm not sure.

Also a question. Can you ajust and reassign linked skills from the login screen, or do you still need to go to every single freaking character one by one to link multiple skills to one character? I hated doing this every time I make a new class.

you can manage link skills with the linkskill manager UI on every character
    now linking and unlinking skills can be done on the same character you want them on, so it's a trivial matter now.

also the Reboot server, is a more classical RPG styled server, where there is no P2W factors ( except the pet situation, people will argue), you can buy cubes, second pendant slots, character expansions and most of the non-cosmetic stuff for meso, but there is also no trading of any kind from player to player (even through dropping items) and trading witin the account through storage is limited to all non-equipment items, equipment items can not be moved though your account on reboot. The thing is though, pretty much everyone uses a meso farming mule (A kanna) to fund their character and so unless you want to spend hours farming meso it may or maynot be the server for you.

also for future reference, no character transfers are allowed to reboot from non-reboot worlds, or from non-reboot worlds to reboot.
    edited August 2017
    I never really did the NX thing. I bought 2x back when it took 5 hours to level up, but that was it. It didn't affect me all that much as a Healer, but I might be interested in trying DPS.

Since I never bought NX, money has always been a problem for me. I never owned any high-end items, just random drops I found. I was the cliche poor cleric.
  • nenenenenenenenenene
    Reactions: 1,095
    edited August 2017
    LOL. Same here. I haven't looked at this Forum General Chat for a long time. Nothing change. I'm glad I did that and that saved me so much time to work on other things. For you " old farty mcfart fart " Start your new char in the new Reboot world. You'd love it.... hack, everyone loves it. Just look at how busy it is.
    edited August 2017
    Just not sure what I want to play. I've kinda played...... Well, everything. Almost. Bishy has always been my jam, but that's when I teamed up a LOT. I've never really done the thief thing due to the costs involved (What was it? 50 mil for a stack of Mokbi. Something stupid like that.) I want to do something that is a strong solo and unfunded, since that's what I'd likely be doing a lot of time.

BTW, are Jr. Boogies familures still the best thing ever?
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited August 2017

Jr. Boogies familiars are still the best thing ever. Recovers a large amount of MP continuously. :)
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Just not sure what I want to play. I've kinda played...... Well, everything. Almost. Bishy has always been my jam, but that's when I teamed up a LOT. I've never really done the thief thing due to the costs involved (What was it? 50 mil for a stack of Mokbi. Something stupid like that.) I want to do something that is a strong solo and unfunded, since that's what I'd likely be doing a lot of time.

You could play as a bishop again.
    They got revamped and so much better that they can survive by themselfes.

A strong class that I also recommed you is kinesis.
    They deal high damage in a really fast time.
    You don't need to worry about mp, kinesis have pp.
    The only annoying thing can be the buffs.
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    >:)

Logging in now as opposed to 2006 is mega different. Leveling got easier but it came with the cost of party questing. Why do party quests when you can level. In the past level 21 - 30 we relied on Kerning City PQ for our levels, where as now we can get there in more then half of the time it took for us to get there from a PQ.

Theme Dungeons also kinda replaced parties.. Nexon wants to bring back Parties, but this game just isn't that social anymore. Now we have maplers scrambling for a map to solo lol

At any rate, log in the game and level up. I'd say start logging in after next update ;)

I gave Jr Boogies to all my characters who use MP regardless of class lol xD Best thing eva! =3

>:)
    edited August 2017
    HA! Got it! Got my old account! At least I think I did. I haven't been able to check in game yet, but I can log into the account.

That means I have access to my linked skills and all my old Bellocan characters, including some you apparently can't make now (Zero)
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited August 2017
    HA! Got it! Got my old account! At least I think I did. I haven't been able to check in game yet, but I can log into the account.

That means I have access to my linked skills and all my old Bellocan characters, including some you apparently can't make now (Zero)

Zero and Beast tamer are only open for creation at special periods but congrats on getting your old account back.
    edited August 2017
    I should have a beast Tamer as well. Never did all that much with it. Still thinking of making something completely new on a reborn server, something I've never done before. Something powerful, fun and just different.