[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.251 - GO WEST! Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Drop rate formula

iluvsuniluvsun
Reactions: 1,280
Posts: 30
Member, Private Tester
edited August 2017 in General Chat
Would it be possible for gms to disclose their drop rate formula for the upcoming drop rate change??
Reform

Comments

  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    Posts: 1,213
    Member
    edited August 2017
    I dont believe nexon has disclosed any of the formulas that calculate anything in this game, pretty sure that has all been revealed from players digging around in the game files and testing things out in game. I doubt they would be as transparent as disclosing the formula calculated for the drop rate, mostly because it's probably prohibited by the NDA to give details of that level. any calculation that will give us a rough estimate will be given to us by other players.
    DarkPassengerdarikparkjinwooSlicedTime
  • nenenenenenenenenene
    Reactions: 1,095
    Posts: 143
    Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't think Nexon ever disclosed any of their formula. Correct me if I'm wrong, All the formula were from the die hard maplestory researchers who did their reverse engineering and posted them in their beloved fan sites.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited August 2017
    Theres a post on reddit translated from Insoya about a Q and A (KMS Q and A) that discusses the drop rate. The translations say that the responses are from KMS Nexon.

    In the KMS Q and A it says that they wont be disclosing the formula for drop rate.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,340
    Posts: 6,342
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    I think the most we can ask for is that our current drop rate be shown in the stats window.
    DarkPassengerIts2Sharp4U
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    Posts: 355
    Member
    edited August 2017
    They never would and never do. Gotta love how they closed the announcement thread about the changes. While there was some drama in there it should have been dealt with by mods and left open. Speaks volumes on how we're being silenced and told to pretty much accept these garbage changes.
    LeFrenchie
  • iluvsuniluvsun
    Reactions: 1,280
    Posts: 30
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    They never would and never do. Gotta love how they closed the announcement thread about the changes. While there was some drama in there it should have been dealt with by mods and left open. Speaks volumes on how we're being silenced and told to pretty much accept these garbage changes.

    I feel like the only reason it got closed was because some of those arguments were getting waay out of hand but i agree it should have been left open but then again the only way to stop drama in a forum is to close it ;p
  • 엘소드엘소드
    Reactions: 775
    Posts: 50
    Member
    edited August 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    They never would and never do. Gotta love how they closed the announcement thread about the changes. While there was some drama in there it should have been dealt with by mods and left open. Speaks volumes on how we're being silenced and told to pretty much accept these garbage changes.

    Some drama?
    The last 4 and a half pages were pointless dribble; that's about half of the topic if you didn't know how to count. Frankly, everyone who mentioned KMS, regardless of their stance in the argument, should have been knocked in the head.

    And your logic is dumb. If the mods 'dealt' with the drama, isn't that silencing? The thread should have been locked immedietly, since it's obvious the majority will cry and complain about the changes, and anyone who says otherwise about the changes would be flamed as a 'bootlicker' or 'shill'.
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    Posts: 355
    Member
    edited August 2017
    엘소드 wrote: »
    Peep wrote: »
    They never would and never do. Gotta love how they closed the announcement thread about the changes. While there was some drama in there it should have been dealt with by mods and left open. Speaks volumes on how we're being silenced and told to pretty much accept these garbage changes.

    Some drama?
    The last 4 and a half pages were pointless dribble; that's about half of the topic if you didn't know how to count. Frankly, everyone who mentioned KMS, regardless of their stance in the argument, should have been knocked in the head.

    And your logic is dumb. If the mods 'dealt' with the drama, isn't that silencing? The thread should have been locked immedietly, since it's obvious the majority will cry and complain about the changes, and anyone who says otherwise about the changes would be flamed as a 'bootlicker' or 'shill'.

    The difference is the people involved are silenced and warned. Even if anouther thread talking about the same thing is opened there is no guarantee that the same thing wont happen between the users involved. It's better for mods to deal with the situation and stop it before it gets worse which wasn't done and thus spiraled out of control. Locking the thread stops any further conversation in the thread.

    Why should people be knocked in the head for mentioning KMS when the data shown by many members of their community suggests this is a catastrophic nerf as far as drop rate is concerned? Sure, we have familiars and other features not available in KMS but the point people are making by using the data is that the nerf makes things worse than they previously were even for our version. That's the whole point.

    Even complaints get taken as feedback. Pretty much all in that thread were 100% valid.
  • 엘소드엘소드
    Reactions: 775
    Posts: 50
    Member
    edited August 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    The difference is the people involved are silenced and warned. Even if anouther thread talking about the same thing is opened there is no guarantee that the same thing wont happen between the users involved. It's better for mods to deal with the situation and stop it before it gets worse which wasn't done and thus spiraled out of control. Locking the thread stops any further conversation in the thread.

    Why should people be knocked in the head for mentioning KMS when the data shown by many members of their community suggests this is a catastrophic nerf as far as drop rate is concerned? Sure, we have familiars and other features not available in KMS but the point people are making by using the data is that the nerf makes things worse than they previously were even for our version. That's the whole point.

    Even complaints get taken as feedback. Pretty much all in that thread were 100% valid.


    The moment someone disagrees that the changes are bad, everyone will jump on said person for being wrong. Looking back at the thread, you'd see that PirateIzzy was the one who started the spiral by insulting everyone who sided with the changes, and then the whole thing devolved into a flame pit a page later. So fine, lets ban everyone in that topic that insulted others; Gasp! that'll mostly be those who voiced their opinion as against the changes.
    Guess what kind of picture folks will think the mods are painting then. Actually, it's so blatently obvious that folks will be calling out mods for silencing 'criticism', ignoring that those posts contained insults.


    Data for KMS, not for GMS. If you're going to assume that it'll be a C&P job, it's safe to assume that the response given by Nexon Korea as reasoning should be valid until GMS provides a response themselves (if they ever do). Dismissing it as a misconstruction is pointless when you're building your argument on the basis that GMS's patch will mainly follow KMS (with the small additions not found in their version like familiars, etc.).

    If every complaint is considered valid, are those that are fine with the changes not considered valid and valuable as feedback as well?
  • QuickDrawerQuickDrawer
    Reactions: 1,750
    Posts: 237
    Member
    edited August 2017
    Next anime crossover when?
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Next anime crossover when?

    Why post that here? >.>
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    Posts: 355
    Member
    edited August 2017
    엘소드 wrote: »
    If every complaint is considered valid, are those that are fine with the changes not considered valid and valuable as feedback as well?

    I was referring to the complaints against the changes. People haven't done their research and think the change is actually going to benefit them more because of how it has been worded in the announcement.
    엘소드 wrote: »
    The moment someone disagrees that the changes are bad, everyone will jump on said person for being wrong. Looking back at the thread, you'd see that PirateIzzy was the one who started the spiral by insulting everyone who sided with the changes, and then the whole thing devolved into a flame pit a page later. So fine, lets ban everyone in that topic that insulted others; Gasp! that'll mostly be those who voiced their opinion as against the changes.
    Guess what kind of picture folks will think the mods are painting then. Actually, it's so blatently obvious that folks will be calling out mods for silencing 'criticism', ignoring that those posts contained insults.


    Data for KMS, not for GMS. If you're going to assume that it'll be a C&P job, it's safe to assume that the response given by Nexon Korea as reasoning should be valid until GMS provides a response themselves (if they ever do). Dismissing it as a misconstruction is pointless when you're building your argument on the basis that GMS's patch will mainly follow KMS (with the small additions not found in their version like familiars, etc.).

    You could say the same about any disagreement. It's why we argue certain points to change peoples opinions. Despite what you are saying the discussion was pretty civil. You're over exaggerating the situation especially for what was going on in that thread. There was 1 insult thrown out that was "boot licker" by one individual to anouther. Hardly offensive. She/he was at least very civil in the rest of her/his post and made valid points.

    The drop rate changes we are getting are the exact same ones as KMS got so it can pretty much be seen as data for GMS also. Even if you didn't ignore what extras we have you'd still come to the conclusion that this change is still worse than what we currently have. It's the indisputable fact and it's the reason people are arguing in that thread with Darkpassenger. I still believe fully that a mod could have stopped the squabble by warning. Keep on topic and avoid insults or lock. It's pretty simple and mods in the past have done it before. If things are still going downhill from there then you lock.

    Argent
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited August 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    엘소드 wrote: »
    If every complaint is considered valid, are those that are fine with the changes not considered valid and valuable as feedback as well?

    I was referring to the complaints against the changes. People haven't done their research and think the change is actually going to benefit them more because of how it has been worded in the announcement.
    엘소드 wrote: »
    The moment someone disagrees that the changes are bad, everyone will jump on said person for being wrong. Looking back at the thread, you'd see that PirateIzzy was the one who started the spiral by insulting everyone who sided with the changes, and then the whole thing devolved into a flame pit a page later. So fine, lets ban everyone in that topic that insulted others; Gasp! that'll mostly be those who voiced their opinion as against the changes.
    Guess what kind of picture folks will think the mods are painting then. Actually, it's so blatently obvious that folks will be calling out mods for silencing 'criticism', ignoring that those posts contained insults.


    Data for KMS, not for GMS. If you're going to assume that it'll be a C&P job, it's safe to assume that the response given by Nexon Korea as reasoning should be valid until GMS provides a response themselves (if they ever do). Dismissing it as a misconstruction is pointless when you're building your argument on the basis that GMS's patch will mainly follow KMS (with the small additions not found in their version like familiars, etc.).

    You could say the same about any disagreement. It's why we argue certain points to change peoples opinions. Despite what you are saying the discussion was pretty civil. You're over exaggerating the situation especially for what was going on in that thread. There was 1 insult thrown out that was "boot licker" by one individual to anouther. Hardly offensive. She/he was at least very civil in the rest of her/his post and made valid points.

    The drop rate changes we are getting are the exact same ones as KMS got so it can pretty much be seen as data for GMS also. Even if you didn't ignore what extras we have you'd still come to the conclusion that this change is still worse than what we currently have. It's the indisputable fact and it's the reason people are arguing in that thread with Darkpassenger. I still believe fully that a mod could have stopped the squabble by warning. Keep on topic and avoid insults or lock. It's pretty simple and mods in the past have done it before. If things are still going downhill from there then you lock.

    It's none of my business but there was more than one insult. The thread is locked but you can still read it. I cant or wont say anything more of it cause I was the one involved, if I say anything else, Ill be called out on trying to victimize myself. It was like ages ago though, so that thread is history in a chronological sense. And I do agree with you, the conversation got sidetracked, and a mod or admin couldve stopped it with a simple warning. But locking the thread was the next best thing.

    The drop rate helps you but rng still plays a role if not the major role in getting your drops. So the data isnt 100% reliable.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited August 2017
    The good thing about all this is now that the update was done, we can do our own tests.
  • BleuteBleute
    Reactions: 450
    Posts: 3
    Member
    edited August 2017
    With 240% drop gear on, a 2x drop card, wolf familiar, and decent HS I was getting about 10 arcana symbols per hour from Discordant Spirits at Labyrinthine Cavern - Lower Path before the update. After this update, I trained there for about 3 hours and found none. I'm also using a frenzy totem.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited August 2017
    Bleute wrote: »
    With 240% drop gear on, a 2x drop card, wolf familiar, and decent HS I was getting about 10 arcana symbols per hour from Discordant Spirits at Labyrinthine Cavern - Lower Path before the update. After this update, I trained there for about 3 hours and found none. I'm also using a frenzy totem.

    How many trials?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,340
    Posts: 6,342
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Bleute wrote: »
    With 240% drop gear on, a 2x drop card, wolf familiar, and decent HS I was getting about 10 arcana symbols per hour from Discordant Spirits at Labyrinthine Cavern - Lower Path before the update. After this update, I trained there for about 3 hours and found none. I'm also using a frenzy totem.

    How many trials?

    "trained there for about 3 hours"
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited August 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Bleute wrote: »
    With 240% drop gear on, a 2x drop card, wolf familiar, and decent HS I was getting about 10 arcana symbols per hour from Discordant Spirits at Labyrinthine Cavern - Lower Path before the update. After this update, I trained there for about 3 hours and found none. I'm also using a frenzy totem.

    How many trials?

    "trained there for about 3 hours"

    one 3 hour sitting still isnt enough to determine solid data, we know the drop gear is the variable in the equation as to why he/she isnt getting drops. Players needs to modify the variable to further attain data as to what is the right amount of drop gear now.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,340
    Posts: 6,342
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    Bleute wrote: »
    With 240% drop gear on, a 2x drop card, wolf familiar, and decent HS I was getting about 10 arcana symbols per hour from Discordant Spirits at Labyrinthine Cavern - Lower Path before the update. After this update, I trained there for about 3 hours and found none. I'm also using a frenzy totem.

    How many trials?

    "trained there for about 3 hours"

    one 3 hour sitting still isnt enough to determine solid data, we know the drop gear is the variable in the equation as to why he/she isnt getting drops. Players needs to modify the variable to further attain data as to what is the right amount of drop gear now.

    The drop gear is 240%. Even if it were completely rendered useless, they should still have gotten about 9 arcane symbols in 3 hours, if nothing else had changed.
    There's a pretty big difference between 0 and 9. But this game's RNG is pretty moody so I guess we need more data before we can conclude we got screwed on more than just drop gear.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited August 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »
    Bleute wrote: »
    With 240% drop gear on, a 2x drop card, wolf familiar, and decent HS I was getting about 10 arcana symbols per hour from Discordant Spirits at Labyrinthine Cavern - Lower Path before the update. After this update, I trained there for about 3 hours and found none. I'm also using a frenzy totem.

    How many trials?

    "trained there for about 3 hours"

    one 3 hour sitting still isnt enough to determine solid data, we know the drop gear is the variable in the equation as to why he/she isnt getting drops. Players needs to modify the variable to further attain data as to what is the right amount of drop gear now.

    The drop gear is 240%. Even if it were completely rendered useless, they should still have gotten about 9 arcane symbols in 3 hours, if nothing else had changed.
    There's a pretty big difference between 0 and 9. But this game's RNG is pretty moody so I guess we need more data before we can conclude we got screwed on more than just drop gear.

    My thoughts exactly, RnG is still a major factor, drop % is supporting role.