[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

It's time for a change.

Comments

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited November 2017
    bazzy wrote: »
    They need to nerf the classes that botters and hackers seem to gravitate to.

we dont need anymore nerfs. Look at kannas. Besides, if they nerf classes that hackers use, it wouldn't be fair for those who play that class legit. Even if they nerf classes like kinesis or blaster or blaze wizards, they can just hack on another class.

hackers choose those classes because of their mechanics, say a mercedes wouldnt be so easy to use 3rd party programs on because the detection system would spot them hacking. classes that move monsters around with their own attacks, or that have a hit box that moves around is what allows hackers to bypass detection.
  • SparkleeSparklee
    Reactions: 2,630
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Nerfing characters to deter hackers would never work, as they would always move to 'the next best class'. Which just never solves the problem as a whole.

Whereas botters/hackers are a huge problem in Maple, and that they need to be gone, Nexon needs to find an effective way to deal with them, where it doesn't affect the legit players.
    They tried with Kannas... some legit Kannas got banned... It's trial and error. It just seem that things Nexon attempts, people are never satisfied.

The whole account security like adding phone numbers, that's a tough one to implement as GMS covers a wide selection of countries, each with different laws that need to be taken into consideration.

The idea of having a GM team (Or GM volunteers) that patrols each server is a nice idea, but also comes with issues... If a GM comes from the UK, they'd need to have an advanced DBS screening to check for any criminal records before they can have a job as a GM, because they could be working with children on that game, and the children need to be safe guarded. It's a complex thing. I'm not sure how other countries go about hiring GM's and what background checks they need to have done, but it's costly. You need to remember, Nexon is a company, and profit is their aim. (Like any other company!)

It's a nuisance that botters/hackers are ruining maple for many people, but patience is needed... Nexon are trying... and failing, but they're trying! They'll find the solution before long!
    SherridarikArgentRandomThoughts
    edited November 2017
    Sparklee wrote: »
    Nerfing characters to deter hackers would never work, as they would always move to 'the next best class'. Which just never solves the problem as a whole.

Whereas botters/hackers are a huge problem in Maple, and that they need to be gone, Nexon needs to find an effective way to deal with them, where it doesn't affect the legit players.
    They tried with Kannas... some legit Kannas got banned... It's trial and error. It just seem that things Nexon attempts, people are never satisfied.

The whole account security like adding phone numbers, that's a tough one to implement as GMS covers a wide selection of countries, each with different laws that need to be taken into consideration.

The idea of having a GM team (Or GM volunteers) that patrols each server is a nice idea, but also comes with issues... If a GM comes from the UK, they'd need to have an advanced DBS screening to check for any criminal records before they can have a job as a GM, because they could be working with children on that game, and the children need to be safe guarded. It's a complex thing. I'm not sure how other countries go about hiring GM's and what background checks they need to have done, but it's costly. You need to remember, Nexon is a company, and profit is their aim. (Like any other company!)

It's a nuisance that botters/hackers are ruining maple for many people, but patience is needed... Nexon are trying... and failing, but they're trying! They'll find the solution before long!

Theres only about 5 classes that fit the hacker playstyle as I stated a moving hit box (e.g orbital flame) or an attack that moves the monsters themselves (e.g kinesis clutch/grab)
  • Cadena91Cadena91
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited November 2017

Nty, as an old player, I've been waiting since Beta.

I do love Gomenasai's first idea though.
  • ShakaAlekShakaAlek
    Reactions: 970
    edited November 2017
    Sorrow wrote: »
    What happens to players that don't own a phone? Will they be able to play their account?

parent? home phone?

What about those who don't want to give some company, that maybe isn't even required to abide by the law of the State they live in (I doubt italian law would count for anything in my case, for example) their private phone number, with the risk of getting spammed with ad phone calls from who know what company's call center?
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Aren't there free phone apps that can give you a phone number and let you call/text? Meaning anyone can still register a new account regardless.
    Sherri
    edited November 2017
    Aren't there free phone apps that can give you a phone number and let you call/text? Meaning anyone can still register a new account regardless.

yep
  • bazzybazzy
    Reactions: 1,525
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017

Theres only about 5 classes that fit the hacker playstyle as I stated a moving hit box (e.g orbital flame) or an attack that moves the monsters themselves (e.g kinesis clutch/grab)

but there's still going to be a way to hack. The whole point is to get rid of hackers. If they nerf all the classes that hackers use, then every class would eventually be terrible. Even if they nerf the classes, the hackers can still use the skills, and just get more range.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2017

they can hack with any character, they use to hack with Demon slayers before they moved to Flame Wiz or Kinesis.

sure they use flame wiz and kinesis cause they have an exploit with the skill but that doesn't stop them from hacking, they can just do the same thing with slightly slower speed on any other class
    bazzySherridarik
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited November 2017
    They need to nerf the classes that botters and hackers seem to gravitate to.

Nerfing characters because of hackers in the worst excuse ever.
    I really hope you are joking.
    darikSlicedTimeArgentLilyflower
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited November 2017

but there's still going to be a way to hack. The whole point is to get rid of hackers. If they nerf all the classes that hackers use, then every class would eventually be terrible. Even if they nerf the classes, the hackers can still use the skills, and just get more range.

Do u want to also kill the playerbase together with hackers? Wtf? This isnt either black or white, theres grey in the middle u know....
  • RokaniRokani
    Reactions: 1,220
    edited November 2017

There are so many ways to get a new phone number that this would be a pointless avenue.

So we can do IP bans, but you can get a fake one/change yours.
    You can do MAC bans, but this can also be changed.
    You could require a credit card number, though that would limit kids, annoy some people, and again easy to get another one usually.

KMS requires a SSN, or something equivalent I think, I can't imagine that working here though. ID cards? Driver licenses?
    Could require a home address with a mailed letter for verification? Seems easily exploitable and costly.

Anyways gl with fighting the flood of botters/hackers.
  • SherriSherri
    edited November 2017
    ID cards? Driver licenses?! I hope not! Kids play too! Most parents will be suspicious too and not let them!
    Mailed letter for verification? No. It would take weeks for a letter to go out, depending on where the receiver lives.
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited November 2017
    Rokani wrote: »
    There are so many ways to get a new phone number that this would be a pointless avenue.

Not really, at least not a free temporary phone number for making accounts. Most phone apps require an existing number and legit texting websites usually charge for the service. And there is only so much bandwidth to freely give them out. It's a perfectly reasonable option to deter botters. The problem is how nexon is gonna go about covering all carriers around the world. But if they do it though, its going to hit hackers really hard.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited November 2017
    Doing an odd experiment, I used Orbital Flame and entered a hidden portal in a large map and teleported to the far end of the map. The flame returned all the way to me and hit all the mobs on the way and tripped the auto disconnection.

Without nerfing Blaze Wizard dramatically, changing Orbital flame so it can only travel back to the point it was casted, not to the position of your character.

EXAMPLE: If you use oribtal flame on the bottom platform and teleport to the top, the flame will return to position where you casted the skill and not where you are if your position changed.

This isn't the perfect solution for stopping blaze wizards, but I don't find it hindering for legit Blaze Wizards teleporting and letting their flame return to them over a long distance is way to train (I doubt it.)
  • cheezburger85cheezburger85
    Reactions: 1,190
    edited November 2017
    Sherri wrote: »
    ID cards? Driver licenses?! I hope not! Kids play too! Most parents will be suspicious too and not let them!
    Mailed letter for verification? No. It would take weeks for a letter to go out, depending on where the receiver lives.

Maybe, instead of trying to show how "impossible" it is, you can try and think with us together in order to try to find a solution, unless, you're like that person (I won't mention his name) who still wants to have a lot of hackers around Maple, because he's a hacker himself, if so, then I won't be surprised.
  • SherriSherri
    edited November 2017

Maybe, instead of trying to show how "impossible" it is, you can try and think with us together in order to try to find a solution, unless, you're like that person (I won't mention his name) who still wants to have a lot of hackers around Maple, because he's a hacker himself, if so, then I won't be surprised.

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's my opinion. I think they are terrible ideas.
    No need to call me (or anybody) a hacker. =_=
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited November 2017

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's my opinion. I think they are terrible ideas.
    No need to call me (or anybody) a hacker. =_=

At the very least, it couldn't hurt to implement. It's what KMS does after all.

Though I love how I'm being called out as a hacker because I simply disagreed with the TC. If you want anything to be done, then stop being petty. I'm being called out for assumptions and taking things out of context by those doing the exact same things in this thread. (Except I don't understand how I did so in the first place)

If you want any chance of ideas going through, you need to be prepared to defend your ideas from those that disagree with you. You can call me a hacker all you like, but where does that get you? Why not take the chance to explain why your idea will work instead of being defensive? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I am not against the effort against hackers.

If you don't want people to disagree with you, get off the internet.
    SherriCatooolooo
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2017

that's what Nexon Kor would allow for activation of their accounts actually, though now it's mostly through I pin for most Korean games these days.

IPin is a generated ID that it tied to a KSSN (your identity) and Korean phone number, so you dont have to give your SSN to a company anymore and is done though a 3rd party (maybe government, I dont remember).

Maybe we can get something similar that just tied our phones and was done in co-op with phone company's, but since No other game that is released in NA requires something like this anyway, it's quite a longshot.

I dunno how simple that would be to roll out for GMS as GMS services areas outside of NA and would have to be in compliance with the laws of places they service as well, which is why they do not / can not just ask for your Personal Identification Number or Social Security Number to check if you have a real identity / tie your identity to an account.
  • Mercedes4Ever31Mercedes4Ever31
    Reactions: 1,215
    edited November 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »

that's what Nexon Kor would allow for activation of their accounts actually, though now it's mostly through I pin for most Korean games these days.

IPin is a generated ID that it tied to a KSSN (your identity) and Korean phone number, so you dont have to give your SSN to a company anymore and is done though a 3rd party (maybe government, I dont remember).

Maybe we can get something similar that just tied our phones and was done in co-op with phone company's, but since No other game that is released in NA requires something like this anyway, it's quite a longshot.

I dunno how simple that would be to roll out for GMS as GMS services areas outside of NA and would have to be in compliance with the laws of places they service as well, which is why they do not / can not just ask for your Personal Identification Number or Social Security Number to check if you have a real identity / tie your identity to an account.

What about his 1st idea? seems to be a pretty good one in my opinio.n
    ShadEight wrote: »
    Rokani wrote: »

Not really, at least not a free temporary phone number for making accounts. Most phone apps require an existing number and legit texting websites usually charge for the service. And there is only so much bandwidth to freely give them out. It's a perfectly reasonable option to deter botters. The problem is how nexon is gonna go about covering all carriers around the world. But if they do it though, its going to hit hackers really hard.

What about his 1st idea? seems to be a pretty good one in my opinion.
    Catooolooo wrote: »

What about his 1st idea? seems to be a pretty good one in my opinion.