[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Unscheduled Minor Patch - October 20, 2016

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

Maintenance for MapleStory has concluded as of 6:31PM. Thanks for your patience everyone!
    chat filter sucks butts

boooooooo
  • fightmerlfightmerl
    Reactions: 200
    edited October 2016
    ImaBlast
    ImaBlast said:

My son learned the F word in daycare at the age of 3. He's learned more curse words in school and from tv. Seeing them in game now it's old news to him. Most kids today have seen, heard, or done worse already. I think they should give us the option of a filtered chat or not. They could put it in system options. They could make age verification part of opening your account for the first time or something. I mean there are ways to give us an option rather than get censored for saying bu* ***, but its not gonna happen.
    That's what makes it such an insane feature to reinstitute. Nothing at all virtuous is being done by complicating the communications this way. Even nearly two decades ago the younger kids were not disturbed and certainly not shocked by hearing the words that are filtered. As you made clear, there's absolutely nothing to gain with this feature and so much to lose in even harmless communication that falls victim to the prohibitions.
  • AsylumAsylum
    Reactions: 880
    edited October 2016
    I don't get why it's always a choice between an extremely restrictive filter that censors things you never intended to say or absolute anarchy. Why not just censor complete phrases and nothing else? After all, there has been easier bypasses people have been using for months such as "~". A toggle would be nice too, just keep racial slurs censored, since the only context they'll be used in is something racist. And even then, whole words only since spaces are easily replaced with symbols, and they have been for years now. Some forums and games have implemented filters that automatically replace whole word profanities with euphemisms. Which is much better than seeing ***s if a toggle is not an option.
  • J1x3dX3n0nJ1x3dX3n0n
    Reactions: 200
    edited October 2016
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

Thanks for your patience!

Changes and Updates:

• The Reboot Master – Class Medal reward can now be redeemed in Reboot world.

Is there any possible way to transfer the Reboot Master Class Medal and rings from a different server to Reboot world? I claimed it in Kradia yesterday as it wasn't available in the Reboot world and the event was going to end on 19th of October. I need the medal and rings in Reboot world instead if possible please
  • GeminiaGeminia
    Reactions: 2,370
    edited October 2016
    J1x3dX3n0n

Is there any possible way to transfer the Reboot Master Class Medal and rings from a different server to Reboot world? I claimed it in Kradia yesterday as it wasn't available in the Reboot world and the event was going to end on 19th of October. I need the medal and rings in Reboot world instead if possible please
    The medal and rings are able to be claimed until Oct 30, so you kinda jumped the gun on claiming them.
  • GreigaBeastDSGreigaBeastDS
    Reactions: 1,190
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

• Regional IP blocks have been reapplied for certain regions that were incorrectly opened.
    So how's this a fix?

• MaybechangexMaybechangex
    Reactions: 100
    edited October 2016
    Regional IP blocks have been reapplied for certain regions that were incorrectly opened.
    forget block ip VietNam =))
  • KlaraKlara
    Reactions: 3,385
    edited October 2016
    @iExpodiZz @BigDaddyDavid @Maryse @DariusJQuellan @Niightseeker @BabyBeiber @Catooolooo @fightmerl @Dor
    The profanity filter is necessary. Let's all remember others' comfort levels and the right to enjoy playing in a safe environment. Even though you're ok with swearing, some people don't want to be forcefully desensitised to harsh language and we all need to be respectful as to not offend others with our words/actions.
    If I find an odd combination of letters censored in my sentence, that usually means it's out of bounds and can potentially offend someone. The mature thing to do would be to ignore looking up such obscure words which are censored and therefore you don't add anything unnecessary to your vocabulary.

@Yunior That would be lowering the player base. It's best to have a game available to a wide variety of ages. Introducing younger players helps make up for those leaving for work/study/careers. The younger you are, the more free time you have; and we need the population to increase.

@AK712 Finally, another mature individual! Bless you <3
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    "If I find an odd combination of letters censored in my sentence, that usually means it's out of bounds and can potentially offend someone."
    @Klara because talking about documentaries or cooking with spices is definitely out of bounds.

"Finally, another mature individual! Bless you <3"
    Just so you know, swearing doesn't make someone immature.
    You can choose not to swear and be just as immature as someone who chooses to swear.
    I personally think that it gives someone personality if they swear. They're not boring and aren't afraid of what people think of them because they choose to swear. If I see someone that's super professional casually swearing, I find that *s word* hilarious. Swearing adds colours to a conversation, keeping everything PG can get boring at times.

But hey, that' just me.
    NiightseekerDiannikaAggraphineUzumeCatoooloooDariusJQuellan
  • ArwenArwen
    Reactions: 2,030
    edited October 2016
    My Bichon Paw turned into Witch's Staff from yesterday ( happened to some players too, check here: forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/924/duplicates-in-cashshop#latest . I wish for a fix but it didn't happened. And i lag spik when entering Event hal6 after today maintenancel.
  • NiightseekerNiightseeker
    Reactions: 2,040
    edited October 2016
    Klara
    Klara said:

@iExpodiZz @BigDaddyDavid @Maryse @DariusJQuellan @Niightseeker @BabyBeiber @Catooolooo @fightmerl @Dor
    The profanity filter is necessary. Let's all remember others' comfort levels and the right to enjoy playing in a safe environment. Even though you're ok with swearing, some people don't want to be forcefully desensitised to harsh language and we all need to be respectful as to not offend others with our words/actions.
    If I find an odd combination of letters censored in my sentence, that usually means it's out of bounds and can potentially offend someone. The mature thing to do would be to ignore looking up such obscure words which are censored and therefore you don't add anything unnecessary to your vocabulary.

@Yunior That would be lowering the player base. It's best to have a game available to a wide variety of ages. Introducing younger players helps make up for those leaving for work/study/careers. The younger you are, the more free time you have; and we need the population to increase.

@AK712 Finally, another mature individual! Bless you <3</p>
    well b* *** the censor is hiding random cra* ***ues are popping up and this ain't *** for ta*, **'s a real mes*: **amples being like this very reply, where you honestly cannot make out half of what's being said. I am legitimately curious on how honest and inoffensive speech butchered by partial censorship can be out of bounds.
    MaryseAggraphineDiannikaCatoooloooKeepComingBackSkyTheDestroyerDorDariusJQuellan
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2016
    Klara
    Klara said:

Are... are you actually serious right now?

I'm so sorry if the middle of my sentence happened to combine letters in the most appropriate manner with which to offend someone's delicate sensibilities.

Shut up. It's not about being okay with swearing, it's about not having a casual conversation be utterly butchered by this asinine chat filter.
    MaryseIts2Sharp4UDiannikaUzumeCatoooloooKeepComingBackSkyTheDestroyerDorNiightseekerDariusJQuellan
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Welp, guess the existence of the swear filter is a bit of an unpopular opinion. Guess I'm in the minority once again...

Look, there are ways to bypass the filter, alright? Just cause I can't say Pianus without making 12 extra messages trying to say Pianus, that doesn't mean I want to log into maple to have my entire guild swearing more than the entire GTA series combined. I'll take making extra comments about what the little *'s are replacing over the latter option.

It's like five extra seconds, what were you going to use those seconds for otherwise?
  • TheHoATheHoA
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited October 2016
    RIP region locked people.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2016
    Xenomata
    Xenomata said:

Welp, guess the existence of the swear filter is a bit of an unpopular opinion. Guess I'm in the minority once again...

Look, there are ways to bypass the filter, alright? Just cause I can't say Pianus without making 12 extra messages trying to say Pianus, that doesn't mean I want to log into maple to have my entire guild swearing more than the entire GTA series combined. I'll take making extra comments about what the little *'s are replacing over the latter option.

It's like five extra seconds, what were you going to use those seconds for otherwise?
    So you're fine with twelve messages to say one work that's six letters long? You don't see any sort of discrepancy there?
    DiannikaCatoooloooDor
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    Klara
    Klara said:

well you see the thing is tha* *** not that we dont want "Harsh language" blocked, but have you ever do***ented and ****yzed how the filter works. we cant even talk about Swee****er stuff ( or other equipment in the game) or ask people to "Whi*** *e" without seeing ****, and by the time we've managed to ******** what we wanted to say we have learned at least 5 foreign swear words, and also some non swears have some how made it on to the list in the past too.

also the fact that swears are so common in the real world (even more common online, especially on youtube comment sections), especially at schools, its as hard to protect them virgin ears as it is to remove chocolate from an m&m

How about we implement the same filter on the forums for like 3 days with post editing disabled, and see how much communicating goes on without people going "what are you saying?"
    DiannikaAggraphineSkyTheDestroyerNiightseekerCaughtByLove
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited October 2016
    People were actually happy that they could form normal sentences, not that they could spout obscenities.

RIP that I guess.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Catooolooo

well you see the thing is tha* *** not that we dont want "Harsh language" blocked, but have you ever do***ented and ****yzed how the filter works. we cant even talk about Swee****er stuff ( or other equipment in the game) or ask people to "Whi*** *e" without seeing ****, and by the time we've managed to ******** what we wanted to say we have learned at least 5 foreign swear words, and also some non swears have some how made it on to the list in the past too.
    You're right, but the solution is not to disable the filter completely.
    The solution is to improve its algorithm so it doesn't see bad words where none were intended.
    BTW, Sweetwater and "whisper me" have been whitelisted for about 9 months now. (But I don't think a whitelist is the correct solution, either).

SkyTheDestroyerNiightseeker
  • KlaraKlara
    Reactions: 3,385
    edited October 2016
    @Maryse Well, I definitely have no idea what could be censored in those topics, but if anything is, my friends and I tell each other where or retype a bit of each other's sentences with stars within quotation marks. And yes, it is a bother if clean words are censored depending where they are in a sentence, but I see it as a prevention method until the filter is improved.

Not swearing is understanding that there are certain harsh words and applying self control as part of maturity. But there are definitely other aspects of maturity like you said. For the "profanity gives personality part" I'd have to disagree. There are so many synonyms in the English language but unfortunately people resort the the same profanity over and over again, dulling down their vocabulary and preventing the use of more creative word choices. And keeping things PG is showing consideration.

@Niightseeker Clean words being censored depending where they are in a sentence is different. That part I agree needs to be changed if they are separated by a space and there is no intention of swearing. However, I was talking about if profanity e.g from another language etc is found within a combination of words and people don't know what it means, it takes common sense to say 'maybe I shouldn't bother with that word'. If one is curious and does search the meaning, it's best to just forget about it as it most likely isn't very positive in the first place.

@Aggraphine @Catooolooo I was talking about outright swearing on purpose in which people can't seem to control their hands, not typing a clean sentence but finding out from another player that part of it has been censored. I didn't bother mentioning the issue with censored parts of words if they happened to make up profanity as my post was about informing others why we need censorship. And wow @Aggraphine, how rude. -3-
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

Xenomata
    Xenomata said:

So you're fine with twelve messages to say one work that's six letters long? You don't see any sort of discrepancy there?
    Yes I am.

What exactly do you plan to do, insult me? Give me 50 reasons why I'm wrong? Curse at me?

Ever heard of | ?