[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Censorship Suggestion.... Round 3 Extended!

Comments

• HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    gerbe

bigger, better bugs (current event quest)
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    sipal

sip a little water
  • LeorickinginLeorickingin
    Reactions: 210
    Hi I think that this censorship is BS, bcs u can not use many words and want to censor other words, you've even checked out what some of those words? Most of the users here are just here to put a language other words, mostly trying to censor words that are close to another thing the he thought. (and sorry for the english not main language)
    MissDena
  • ilikepieuknowilikepieuknow
    Reactions: 730
    edited October 2018
    why is put]o censored? when i type let me put] on my clothes it censors
    also pers]e is censored when i type dmg per] sec
  • ReynbowzReynbowz
    Reactions: 420
    Some annoying censors:
    mini game
    chuchu looks fun
    the rune I used
  • StarryKnightStarryKnight
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited December 2018
    It would be nice if the censorship filter could be improved for name creation as well. I tried to make a character named Cassius, but can't because it contains ass. This is a bit frustrating because if someone really wanted to use 'ass' in a sexual or derogatory manner in a character name, they could just make it âss or áss, etc, because those combinations do not trigger the censorship filter. All the current filter does is prevent people from having clean looking names that happen to contain combinations of letters that could in certain circumstances be derogatory.

I expect the programmers do something along the lines of the following: They take an input string, change all the characters to lower case, remove all the spaces, then search through the string for combinations of letters, this leads to censorship of things that should not be censored, for example if I said "the gorilla is the stronger ape". It would censor "stronge* ***" because it thinks I typed rape, this is because it doesn't see that these are separate words, all it see's is a string 'thegorillaisthestrongerape'. In fact, if you type "aosdaisojdrapetheoerwe" you would get "aosdaisojd****theoerwe", because the programmers are lazy and use an instr function to search for censored words, instead of parsing the input string properly and examining each word independently.

Personally, i'd probably parse the string into a dynamic array using the space character as a delimiter, and run a 'for' loop that scans each string in the array (each word of the sentence) independently, it's more elegant, efficient and prevents unnecessary censorship.
    ToonSairKuronekonovaPridePoplmonCutieMikuDarkanomalySherri
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2018
    "Estupida" is censored for whatever reason.

In context "the stupid ass soot glares"
  • zoutzakjezoutzakje
    Reactions: 1,380
    edited December 2018
    This seems like a lot of trouble to be honest. Can't they just add a toggle in the settings? Turn censor on or off. Most other mmo's have this, why not maple?
    I might have asked this question before, i can't remember.
    MissDenaDragonRifle92CutieMikuSherri
  • TharRandomPersonTharRandomPerson
    Reactions: 205
    hi i'mm sorry if i'm really obnoxious here but
    a lot of the censored words don't make sense to me so can someone just explain what they mean and why they're censored
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    hi i'mm sorry if i'm really obnoxious here but
    a lot of the censored words don't make sense to me so can someone just explain what they mean and why they're censored

A lot of the censored words and phrases are what would seem like even vaguely rude/bad terms or even medically correct terms in various different languages.
    I explained "skede" in the previous thread, but it's an older swedish/danish word that can mean the v-word for female genitalia (except nobody has used it like that in the past decade or something, certainly not among young people and it's not even a derogatory word). It mainly means sheath, or a set time period/phase. Perfectly innocent.

A lot of it is outdated slang or simply strange spellings or phonetic spellings of a bad word.
    For example, "notsi" was censored before because it sounds like a certain old German taboo.

It's been a year now without a new censor update though.
  • coolflamoscoolflamos
    Reactions: 1,015
    edited February 2019
    I really think that changing the censorship is alot more hassle than it's worth, rather you should really work on the whole system itself, because most of the time, even if it's censored, people will find ways to bypass the censors, rather we should really work on increasing the censors whilst putting in place something like a click to peek sort of system, and obviously fixing the reporting system to enforce on the toilet mouths, have a meso required report system but you get rewarded for correctly reporting maybe, would help out the reports

and can we suggest words which should be in the blacklist censor? cause i really think klit should be in that list, also should really get into how it sounds as well, like back when sexy was censored, i'd use sec(c), usually it's hard to use that word in an offensive way anyways, baffled me why it was censored for >10 years, also y is bukake not on that list? i fail to see how that word would ever be used spaced in such a way of two words which should be in the whitelist, really should get your stuff together, cause i still see offensive names on during the new job waves, which on a pretty dead server, i'd think it's safe to say that there's a load of the bad mouths running rampant
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    lol I posted in the wrong thread...

but since I'm here now

Why is crouton censored? Does nexon have something against salad?
  • h0lyicdragonh0lyicdragon
    Reactions: 510
    edited June 2019
    toggle-able mature filter, my skin isn't paper thin unlike some people.
  • SoloPartySoloParty
    Reactions: 820
    edited June 2019
    Flamer
    This item needs the flame redone
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited August 2019
    I dont understand why normal things like pee or sperm are censored, they are natural things from our body, why censor it? Its not an insult
  • MarthRoyMarthRoy
    Reactions: 740
    edited August 2019
    This game is just silly with its censoring. It's aggravatingly frustrating when i can't type completely innocent general sentences because SOMEWHERE in those words is a coded arrangement of letters that could potentially form something inappropriate. Just make Censor a toggle or a checked box in options etc like EVERY OTHER mmo out there. It's frustrating to the rest of us when we can't even type what we want to say and nothing is wrong with it.
    FuhreakKuronekonovaGenkaiX1MissDenaCutieMikuSherri
  • Zaros_RunaZaros_Runa
    Reactions: 1,150
    edited October 2019
    mujeres (literally means women)
    raton (literally means mouse)
    those two words are censored for whatever reason
  • zoutzakjezoutzakje
    Reactions: 1,380
    edited October 2019
    Zaros_Runa wrote: »
    mujeres (literally means women)
    raton (literally means mouse)
    those two words are censored for whatever reason

yes i noticed raton for the first time time today. "CRA tonight?" is something a buddy asked me.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2020
    How you gonna censor "masochism" and "sadomaso" in game and then post stuff like this on the official social media?
    UjZBg37.jpg
    Poplmon
  • FawkoFawko
    Reactions: 2,360
    edited April 2020
    "Do you have an ETA for when new words will be removed?

Not at the moment, we are collecting feedback weekly though."

This thread was created in January 2018, over 2 years ago. What is the point of collecting weekly feedback if it takes over 2 years for Nexon to even look at it?
    FuhreakPoplmonCutieMikuSherri