[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.233 Destiny: Remastered Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Think About This when Cheating Online Games

Comments

  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,955
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    This thread wouldn't be half as meaningful if modding were not against the rules. You're only upset with each other because it is. That's the blunt truth. If this were WildStar or Minecraft, you'd be competing with each other over who made the best new mod, but that's not to say I support modding here at MapleStory and only to imply there's no actual crime in doing so in places where it is permitted. ~ You "knowingly" agreed when you registered to play this game that these things are forbidden.

    implying we play wildstar ( no idea what that is) and minecraft ( game looks boring)
    I'm not implying we play anything. The fact remains, the negativity would be null and void if it were allowed (many games do allow certain forms of modding; not hacking; there truly is a difference), and the likes of you who are up in arms the most would be willing participants of hypocrisy. (up down up down left right left) :smirk:

    how exactly do you know we would be willing participants?

    but to respond, if mods were allowed in a game, then it isnt considered against the Terms of Service, the point of speaking against this thread is that, using a third party source/program to modify your characters progress and mechanics, is against the Terms of Service. The big difference that neutralizes your assertion that we'd be hypocrites, is that modding and hacking isnt allowed in maplestory, whether theres time to finish all events and content or not. You cant compare something thats allowed in a separate entity to something that is written down as a bannable offense.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    @DarkPassenger ~ Reading is not your forte, is it? ... I was clearly comparing the difference between what is and what is not against the terms. This is why I clearly said, (more than once since my first reply) those who are mad about mods not being supported knew full well what they agreed to when they joined. This means they have no leg to stand on when complaining.

    Since when does using words like "most" and "majority" signify one person or represent a grand total of all? Since never. You folks gawk about context, but have no problem taking everything said completely out of context. ~ Did your bridge burn down? ~ Run out of food?

    The name of this sub-forum is (in case you're lost): NON-GMS CONTENT DISCUSSION. <~ This means it's not limited to "MapleDrama".
    On another note; Now that I have your attention. ~ Do you support keyboard customizations for the handicapped; or is that too taboo??

  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    Posts: 576
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    The name of this sub-forum is (in case you're lost): NON-GMS CONTENT DISCUSSION. <~ This means it's not limited to "MapleDrama".
    On another note; Now that I have your attention. ~ Do you support keyboard customizations for the handicapped; or is that too taboo??

    Yeah okay, I've completely lost faith in that you're even making sense at this point. You don't even understand what this subforum is used for. If you actually bothered to read like you're so fond of accusing others of, you'd see that this subforum is, "Content discussions regarding other MapleStory services (unrelated to GMS)." This isn't off topic. This is a forum dedicated to talking about other Maplestory servers.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    The name of this sub-forum is (in case you're lost): NON-GMS CONTENT DISCUSSION. <~ This means it's not limited to "MapleDrama".
    On another note; Now that I have your attention. ~ Do you support keyboard customizations for the handicapped; or is that too taboo??

    Yeah okay, I've completely lost faith in that you're even making sense at this point. You don't even understand what this subforum is used for. If you actually bothered to read like you're so fond of accusing others of, you'd see that this subforum is, "Content discussions regarding other MapleStory services (unrelated to GMS)." This isn't off topic. This is a forum dedicated to talking about other Maplestory servers.
    My previous reply was not made to you (and it was on-topic). Are we playing baseball? Did your bridge burn down? The discussion between me and you ended yesterday. ~ Since you're here; you may as well answer the question I asked your alternate character.

    Do you support keyboard customizations for handicapped people? ~ and ~ What is the title of this thread?

  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    Posts: 344
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    The name of this sub-forum is (in case you're lost): NON-GMS CONTENT DISCUSSION. <~ This means it's not limited to "MapleDrama".
    On another note; Now that I have your attention. ~ Do you support keyboard customizations for the handicapped; or is that too taboo??

    Yeah okay, I've completely lost faith in that you're even making sense at this point. You don't even understand what this subforum is used for. If you actually bothered to read like you're so fond of accusing others of, you'd see that this subforum is, "Content discussions regarding other MapleStory services (unrelated to GMS)." This isn't off topic. This is a forum dedicated to talking about other Maplestory servers.
    My previous reply was not made to you. Are we playing baseball? Did your bridge burn down? The discussion between me and you ended yesterday. Since you're here; you may as well answer the question I asked your alternate character.

    Do you support keyboard customizations for handicapped people? ~ and ~ What is the title of this thread?

    Ok, seriously, are you a troll?
    MageOfBattlesSherri
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Ok, seriously, are you a troll?
    Is that a trick question? My first reply in this thread was to the op, who has yet to say a single word to me.

    Take a long look in a mirror .... .

  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    Posts: 576
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    Ok, seriously, are you a troll?
    Is that a trick question? My first reply in this thread was to the op, who has yet to say a single word to me.

    Take a long look in a mirror .... .

    He's a troll.
    Sherri
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    He's a troll.
    Reported, for trolling.
    This is in regards to the dark side of games. And this is a message to all game developers to make sure you think about this when it comes to others. (And this is in regards to all MMORPGS (not just MapleStory).)

  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    Posts: 1,213
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    He's a troll.
    Reported, for trolling.
    This is in regards to the dark side of games. And this is a message to all game developers to make sure you think about this when it comes to others. (And this is in regards to all MMORPGS (not just MapleStory).)

    dude, you are all sorts of confused

    the Non-GMS section is to discuss other maple versions, this thread was made in the wrong sub-forum, and should either be rants and raves or off-topic sub forum sections because there is no legal version of maple that allows hacking or cheating or modding.

    that said, I feel like what you were trying to say is that, anyone who paid any attention to the ToS (or understands that MMO's are not the same as other games they grab on steam, that allow mods) would not be surprised or complain about something like this, and if maplestory was a completely different type of game (a sandbox, build your own custom adventure game) people would (obviously) not complain.

    which I completely agree with, and feel the comparison works fine because the thread starter seemed new to/did not comprehend these facts when they started playing (and even now still doesn't seem to completely understand)


    but you tried to deliver it in a preachy way.

  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    ....
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    He's a troll.
    Reported, for trolling.
    This is in regards to the dark side of games. And this is a message to all game developers to make sure you think about this when it comes to others. (And this is in regards to all MMORPGS (not just MapleStory).)

    dude, you are all sorts of confused

    the Non-GMS section is to discuss other maple versions, this thread was made in the wrong sub-forum, and should either be rants and raves or off-topic sub forum sections because there is no legal version of maple that allows hacking or cheating or modding.

    that said, I feel like what you were trying to say is that, anyone who paid any attention to the ToS (or understands that MMO's are not the same as other games they grab on steam, that allow mods) would not be suprised or complain about something like this, and if maplestory was a completely different type of game (a sandbox, build your own custom adventure game) people would (obviously) not complain.

    but you tried to deliver it in a preachy way.
    I'm not at all confused, but you do seem to understand the gist of what I'm saying (despite the glaring attempt to patronize me). I've been playing MapleStory for more than 10 years, and if that seems preachy it must have hit home in some major way. (I know where I am and what I am talking about). Where did I say anything in support of cheating or hacking the game? The answer is nowhere, at all; which puts the whole attempt to make a scene, out of what I said, in the trash. If I only had (or had use of) one hand, would you support my use of an advanced macro-system to play the game, or would you continue to parrot what you've been told, in protest of something alien to your 'way'? ~ (Content discussions regarding other MapleStory services (unrelated to GMS).)

  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    Posts: 1,213
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    ....
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    He's a troll.
    Reported, for trolling.
    This is in regards to the dark side of games. And this is a message to all game developers to make sure you think about this when it comes to others. (And this is in regards to all MMORPGS (not just MapleStory).)

    dude, you are all sorts of confused

    the Non-GMS section is to discuss other maple versions, this thread was made in the wrong sub-forum, and should either be rants and raves or off-topic sub forum sections because there is no legal version of maple that allows hacking or cheating or modding.

    that said, I feel like what you were trying to say is that, anyone who paid any attention to the ToS (or understands that MMO's are not the same as other games they grab on steam, that allow mods) would not be suprised or complain about something like this, and if maplestory was a completely different type of game (a sandbox, build your own custom adventure game) people would (obviously) not complain.

    but you tried to deliver it in a preachy way.
    I'm not at all confused, but you do seem to understand the gist of what I'm saying (despite the glaring attempt to patronize me). I've been playing MapleStory for more than 10 years, and if that seems preachy it must have hit home in some major way. (I know where I am and what I'm talking about). Where did I say anything in support of cheating or hacking the game? The answer is nowhere, at all; which puts the whole attempt to make a scene, out of what I said, in the trash. If I only hand one hand, would you support my use of an advanced macro-system to play the game, or would you continue to parrot what you've been told, in protest of something alien to your 'way'? ~ (Content discussions regarding other MapleStory services (unrelated to GMS).)

    you are quite confused cause you're looking for an augment.

    please re-read my statement, I never said you were supporting modding or cheating. I was explaining why this thread is not meant to be in the Non-GMS sub forum, it's not about an update in JMS, CMS,TMS, MSEA or KMS and none of them have received updates that allow the use of hacks so by default it's not the right subforum. the discussion at hand and thread are more suited for either the off-topic section or Rants and Raves section.

    lastly the part that came off preachy was "This thread wouldn't be half as meaningful if modding were not against the rules. You're only upset with each other because it is. " I feel like this statement was not intended to come off preachy, but the way you phrased it or worded it, it came off as saying the people telling them not to cheat were in the wrong. I understood what you meant, but the way you phased it seemed to have cause more conflict with others. which led to this statement "the likes of you who are up in arms the most would be willing participants of hypocrisy. " which was just unnecessary, as this thread was not about mods anyway.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    ....
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    He's a troll.
    Reported, for trolling.
    This is in regards to the dark side of games. And this is a message to all game developers to make sure you think about this when it comes to others. (And this is in regards to all MMORPGS (not just MapleStory).)

    dude, you are all sorts of confused

    the Non-GMS section is to discuss other maple versions, this thread was made in the wrong sub-forum, and should either be rants and raves or off-topic sub forum sections because there is no legal version of maple that allows hacking or cheating or modding.

    that said, I feel like what you were trying to say is that, anyone who paid any attention to the ToS (or understands that MMO's are not the same as other games they grab on steam, that allow mods) would not be suprised or complain about something like this, and if maplestory was a completely different type of game (a sandbox, build your own custom adventure game) people would (obviously) not complain.

    but you tried to deliver it in a preachy way.
    I'm not at all confused, but you do seem to understand the gist of what I'm saying (despite the glaring attempt to patronize me). I've been playing MapleStory for more than 10 years, and if that seems preachy it must have hit home in some major way. (I know where I am and what I'm talking about). Where did I say anything in support of cheating or hacking the game? The answer is nowhere, at all; which puts the whole attempt to make a scene, out of what I said, in the trash. If I only hand one hand, would you support my use of an advanced macro-system to play the game, or would you continue to parrot what you've been told, in protest of something alien to your 'way'? ~ (Content discussions regarding other MapleStory services (unrelated to GMS).)

    you are quite confused cause you're looking for an augment.

    please re-read my statement, I never said you were supporting modding or cheating. I was explaining why this thread is not meant to be in the Non-GMS sub forum, it's not about an update in JMS, CMS,TMS, MSEA or KMS so by default it's not the right subforum. the discussion at hand and thread are more suited for either the off-topic section or Rants and Raves section.

    lastly the part that came off preachy was "This thread wouldn't be half as meaningful if modding were not against the rules. You're only upset with each other because it is. " I feel like this statement was not intended to come off preachy, but the way you phrased it or worded it, it came off as saying the people telling them not to cheat were in the wrong.
    My first post in this thread was to the op. If anyone is "looking for an argument", it's the lot of trolls who've been quoting me ever since.

  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    Posts: 576
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    My first post in this thread was to the op. If anyone is "looking for an argument", it's the lot of trolls who've been quoting me ever since.

    If you want only an answer from the op, then PM him. This is a forum, you're going to get a lot of other opinions, if you can't understand that then there's not much point in trying to explain this to you.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    If you want only an answer from the op, then PM him. This is a forum, you're going to get a lot of other opinions, if you can't understand that then there's not much point in trying to explain this to you.
    That wasn't the point of my saying that. The point was I wasn't talking to any of the people demanding I explain myself to them. I don't owe them an explanation. Seriously. If Cat can "deduce" a little of what I said, surely you can comprehend something. Why aren't you contributing to "the topic"? Why are you here if not for any other reason than to derail the thread?

  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    Posts: 576
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    If you want only an answer from the op, then PM him. This is a forum, you're going to get a lot of other opinions, if you can't understand that then there's not much point in trying to explain this to you.
    That wasn't the point of my saying that. The point was I wasn't talking to any of the people demanding I explain myself to them. I don't owe them an explanation. Seriously. If Cat can "deduce" a little of what I said, surely you can comprehend something. Why aren't you contributing to "the topic"? Why are you here if not for any other reason than to derail the thread?

    That's exactly the same question I have for you, and not just with this thread. I understand your point of those who want mods should've known what they signed up for, I haven't been talking about that. My issue from the start was your statement that if this game had mods, no one would be angry right now. I responded as I did because I didn't understand the point of talking about mods on a game that doesn't have any in the first place. That wasn't even an issue until you brought it up. This entire thing isn't even based on mods. We're talking about why it's not okay to cheat vs. Justifying cheating.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    That's exactly the same question I have for you, and not just with this thread.
    I have as much right to post in this forum as anyone else who uses it. My post was on topic and absolutely relevant. Indeed, I said what I said, and if this were your thread; your opinion of what I said might matter, but it isn't and it doesn't. That's not saying you don't have no more right to an opinion than I do; just that your opinion doesn't mean any more than mine. You call them cheats; I call them mods. The simple fact of the matter is, no one would be bickering about anything if this were the place for it (as opposed to the opposite). If you (and I assume your guild mates) were not looking for the argument you claim I am; you would've left well enough alone and went about your own way long ago, rather than badger anyone whose opinion is slightly different than your own. The fact you carried this out for two+ pages proves you care very little (if at all) about keeping the thread on topic; despite your play of "concern" that drove this argument.

  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    Posts: 576
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    That's exactly the same question I have for you, and not just with this thread.
    I have as much right to post in this forum as anyone else who uses it. My post was on topic and absolutely relevant. Indeed, I said what I said, and if this were your thread; your opinion of what I said might matter, but it isn't and it doesn't. That's not saying you don't have no more right to an opinion than I do; just that your opinion doesn't mean any more than mine. You call them cheats; I call them mods. The simple fact of the matter is, no one would be bickering about anything if this were the place for it (as opposed to the opposite). If you (and I assume your guild mates) were not looking for the argument you claim I am; you would've left well enough alone and went about your own way long ago, rather than badger anyone whose opinion is slightly different than your own. The fact you carried this out for two+ pages proves you care very little (if at all) about keeping the thread on topic; despite your play of "concern" that drove this argument.

    I agree, I have no right over you or your opinion, and I'm sorry if it came off like that. I also agree that cheats could equal mods, however, the op explicitly mentions cheating/hacking far more than he does mods, which is why I was puzzled when you started talking about them. The parallel you have with cheating = mods would've helped considerably if you had established that earlier. Also, you're again, not wrong that if mods were allowed there wouldn't be much bickering, aside from the hacking part, which I don't think there's ever an excuse to do. I simply don't understand why that point was so necessary to focus on. I can't be held responsible for how you interpret my actions, especially when you've done nearly the same. If you believe I'm purposefully trying to derail the thread because I disagree with you, that's on you.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    Posts: 39
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    That's exactly the same question I have for you, and not just with this thread.
    I have as much right to post in this forum as anyone else who uses it. My post was on topic and absolutely relevant. Indeed, I said what I said, and if this were your thread; your opinion of what I said might matter, but it isn't and it doesn't. That's not saying you don't have no more right to an opinion than I do; just that your opinion doesn't mean any more than mine. You call them cheats; I call them mods. The simple fact of the matter is, no one would be bickering about anything if this were the place for it (as opposed to the opposite). If you (and I assume your guild mates) were not looking for the argument you claim I am; you would've left well enough alone and went about your own way long ago, rather than badger anyone whose opinion is slightly different than your own. The fact you carried this out for two+ pages proves you care very little (if at all) about keeping the thread on topic; despite your play of "concern" that drove this argument.

    I agree, I have no right over you or your opinion, and I'm sorry if it came off like that. I also agree that cheats could equal mods, however, the op explicitly mentions cheating/hacking far more than he does mods, which is why I was puzzled when you started talking about them. The parallel you have with cheating = mods would've helped considerably if you had established that earlier. Also, you're again, not wrong that if mods were allowed there wouldn't be much bickering, aside from the hacking part, which I don't think there's ever an excuse to do. I simply don't understand why that point was so necessary to focus on. I can't be held responsible for how you interpret my actions, especially when you've done nearly the same. If you believe I'm purposefully trying to derail the thread because I disagree with you, that's on you.
    You can't agree and disagree with the same points mutually (You either do or you don't; not both). A vast majority of "hacks" as people "call them" aren't even hacks by definition (don't involve packet editing, no 3rd party programs, etc..). The whole point of my first post (which, at the time, was the 4th post I had made to this forum since last August) has been rehashed over and over since I said it, and it basically boils down to the topic has no merit to stand on. ~ Have a nice day.

  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    Posts: 314
    Member
    edited October 2017
    Let's all calm down for a sec and get back to the topic of cheating during online games.

    Please though feel free though to create a new thread for discussing keyboard customizations and other forms of accessibility for Maplers; in our Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests section.
    HardmuscleSherri
  • 엘소드엘소드
    Reactions: 775
    Posts: 50
    Member
    edited October 2017

    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    What is the name and purpose of this particular sub-forum? I clearly asserted the difference you're babbling about, if you bother to read what I said. If this was (as opposed to was not) a game where mods were permitted; the same people moaning about how criminal they are would be participants. I also said, those who are upset because they can't use mods knew full well what they entered into when they registered their account. Don't patronize me.

    Non-GMS Content Discussion
    Content discussions regarding other MapleStory services (unrelated to GMS).

    This subforum is for discussions of content from other versions of MapleStory.

    So bringing up two games that aren't related to Maplestory means that you're the one that's off topic.