[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Closing old forums 1/31/2017

Comments

• SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
  • XionicomadXionicomad
    Reactions: 820
    edited January 2017
    @OneLetter

Provide some security measures with the new forum update as well. I'm sure you don't want another hacking incident. If fact I don't think any of us do.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    @Sorrow , they're giving you time, not help. If you want it, you'll need to copy it yourself.
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    Is there a way to just save the web page for offline use on my computer? Moving that thread over is a bit too tedious and would lose all of its formatting.
  • NectarineNectarine
    Reactions: 450
    edited January 2017
    So this is what i've read so far:

staff: We're going to close the old forums entirely.
    staff: Suggestions or feedback?
    players: We want to keep the old forums because history (bugs/glitches) can repeat itself. We're not too fond of the old forums closing.
    staff: How dare these players have a negative outlook on this topic. The old forums are irrelevant to *me*, so why are people against it?!
    players: Please don't remove the old forums entirely. There are threads that we treasure to this day!
    staff: Okay fine go copy and paste old threads yourself then.
    players: ...

Sometimes logical intelligence is not enough. Emotional intelligence plays a big part in handling a community. I hope to see better days on these forums.
    JettLuvsUTubaStéphy
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    @AlexandreFournier , the difference is that to fix the bug requires work, but to leave the old forums as they are requires no work.

(And personally I believe they're actually trying to fix that bug, since as you say it's costing them money. But they're too incompetent to. Maybe the notes left by their programmers who solved the Error 38 thing were also purged at some point due to being "irrelevant", so they're having to research it all from scratch. It took six months last time...)
    Tuba
  • XionicomadXionicomad
    edited January 2017
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

@AlexandreFournier , the difference is that to fix the bug requires work, but to leave the old forums as they are requires no work.

(And personally I believe they're actually trying to fix that bug, since as you say it's costing them money. But they're too incompetent to. Maybe the notes left by their programmers who solved the Error 38 thing were also purged at some point due to being "irrelevant", so they're having to research it all from scratch. It took six months last time...)
    ==============================================
    You may want to give examples of what they can do with the code to fix it or show you have extensive knowledge about coding itself. Otherwise calling them incompetent comes right back at you.
  • TubaTuba
    Reactions: 3,175
    edited January 2017
    Xionicomad

AKradian
    AKradian said:

You may want to give examples of what they can do with the code to fix it or show you have extensive knowledge about coding itself. Otherwise calling them incompetent comes right back at you.
    Are you kidding me? I'm sorry but you got it really wrong, because players shouldn't need to tell EMPLOYEES, people who should be well trained in coding, how to do their damn job. We aren't the ones who signed up for the job, we don't get paid to work for them, most of the players don't even have any coding or programing experience while these incompetent college kids who do a poor job at running this game have been taught how to program, fix bugs, and maintain a game, and if they don't have any education in coding, or managing a game then I really want to know why they are even working for this company. For you to take on this "well if you can't code either don't complain" mentality is absolute nonsense. I didn't come to a game to tell employees how to do their job or direct them, I log on to have fun and interact with my friends and even that's been hard because these people CAN'T RUN A GAME. Give me a break.
    PlasticHolly
  • ChukkiChukki
    Reactions: 1,525
    edited January 2017
    Xionicomad

AKradian
    AKradian said:

@Xionicomad

Are you really expecting regular players to give routes on how to exploit a code and show the developers a way to fix it?

Tuba
  • TubaTuba
    edited January 2017
    Saying that "if players don't know how to code and maintain the game like the game developers and technical team they are just as incompetent" is the dumbest thing I've heard in 2017 so far. I kinda need a xanax right now...
  • XionicomadXionicomad
    edited January 2017
    @everyone who quoting my comment.

You're welcome to show me what the developers and tech support do at Nexon. Show me that they can fix things easy with money that they apparently don't want to spend. If you don't know what they do or have a simple idea of how coding and maintaining servers works then what you say holds no water. Coding alone is a nightmare and isn't something that gets fixed easily. Sometimes a simple code line takes a month to fix, maybe even two months. That is on a basic level of coding. Now imagine the dozens of codes this game alone has and the amount of hours with the amount of manpower put in to fix all these codes. I can guarantee they have coding professionals on their games which a lot of you would argue against even though you have nothing to prove it.

That was just to give a general idea what they have to do.

I don't know if they are goofing off or desperately trying to fix the problem. I can also bet that most of you don't know as well. We don't know their actions on what they do during their hours so calling them incompetent when you don't even know if they are working or slacking is really moronic to say the least.

@Tuba I never once called people incompetent in this thread. When I said "it comes back at you", I meant it as "you have to eat what you've said" if you can understand that terminology. You're also welcome to tell me where Nexon can find these expert coders. They aren't exactly "easy" to find. You claim all these things when in reality you don't have a single idea. You're merely giving off speculation with your own discomfort with the game and/or forums.

It wasn't meant as "if you don't know how to code then don't talk"; its a "don't claim you know what they are doing/spending on when you don't."

Hopefully that should clear some things up.
    JettLuvsU
  • PlasticHollyPlasticHolly
    Reactions: 2,140
    edited January 2017
    the worst argument in this whole thread is the one that basically goes, the old forums have very little value to me therefore they shouldn't for you and for you to be upset about this decision is silly. The second worst one in my opinion is the one that goes something like -if you don't know how to code or maintain a game you have no right to criticize others for the job they are doing, .. well i don't need to know how to make chicken Parmesan to know if its well cooked or not and i don't have to know auto mechanics to know if you fixed my brakes or not and i have the right to expect those that are paid to do these jobs to know how to do them and do them correctly and complain when they dont
    JettLuvsUTuba
  • XionicomadXionicomad
    edited January 2017
    PlasticHolly

the worst argument in this whole thread is the one that basically goes, the old forums have very little value to me therefore they shouldn't for you and for you to be upset about this decision is silly. The second worst one in my opinion is the one that goes something like -if you don't know how to code or maintain a game you have no right to criticize others for the job they are doing, .. well i don't need to know how to make chicken Parmesan to know if its well cooked or not and i don't have to know auto mechanics to know if you fixed my brakes or not and i have the right to expect those that are paid to do these jobs to know how to do them and do them correctly and complain when they dont
    =========================================================================

It's one thing to criticize as a customer. It's a whole different ball game when you start blatantly insulting people which includes the Devs and the tech guys. Much less assuming what they do when majority of the players don't know what they do.
  • ChukkiChukki
    edited January 2017
    @Xionicomad

What we do know is a lot of the times they don't make "smart decisions."

Ex- Repeating 2x events that causes lag.
    They continue to say they are aware of the issue yet they keep giving us 2x events that bring most of the community to be online within a 3 hour period for the 2x event.
    This causes lag yet they keep on doing it .
    It's almost like the "live" servers are their test servers.

You may say "The lag is much better now."
    There's a probability that players have quit due to the lag in the previous events so they don't come back for the next event.

You can see the returning pattern if you know what I mean.

PlasticHollyTuba
  • XionicomadXionicomad
    edited January 2017
    @chukki
    People leaving has always been a returning pattern for Maplestory. Long before these issues even came to be. It really isn't anything new. While in-game the people on Scania and ReBoot seem to enjoy the 2x even with the lag. See more praise than insults on those servers.

As for the "smart" decisions. That is purely opinion. My smart can easily be different from your smart.
  • ChukkiChukki
    edited January 2017
    All we can do now is wait.

We provided our feedback for the forums to stay and let's just hope they don't disappoint us any further.

Cheers~
    Tuba
  • PlasticHollyPlasticHolly
    Reactions: 2,140
    edited January 2017
    @chukki, here's another current example.. players complain for weeks they cant go into the event hall, beg nexon to move the moon bunny out of there so they can use it, finally after the crafting event has ended they listen and move it into towns, only to once again place it back in the event hall when round two of the crafting event starts, that's either sadistic or stupid or some combination of the two
    Bahamut_XTuba
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    @Xionicomad and everyone else, the entire discussion of the locked-out characters and what Nexon is or isn't doing to help them, is off-topic to this thread. Take it to the relevant one.
    The only reason I made that parenthesized comment is to hint that maybe the reason they're having such a hard time is the company's apparent disregard for preserving knowledge.

Every organization I've ever worked at, or with, did their utmost to preserve knowledge. People always come and go, taking the contents of their brains with them. But written information, especially digital information that can be searched through even if it isn't well organized, can and should be preserved. Definitely all information pertaining to systems that are still in operation must be kept. Old code, documents, even emails, all get carefully ported whenever the hardware or OS/tools change, so whatever knowledge is in them would remain available.

I honestly can't wrap my mind around the thought that since we moved platform, everything said before the move is useless. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to delete information en masse?
    What's next? Keeping these new forums tidy and compact by periodically deleting every thread older than 4 months?
    UzumeBahamut_XTubaIvangoldIts2Sharp4U
  • TubaTuba
    edited January 2017
    Xionicomad

@everyone who quoting my comment.

You're welcome to show me what the developers and tech support do at Nexon. Show me that they can fix things easy with money that they apparently don't want to spend. If you don't know what they do or have a simple idea of how coding and maintaining servers works then what you say holds no water. Coding alone is a nightmare and isn't something that gets fixed easily. Sometimes a simple code line takes a month to fix, maybe even two months. That is on a basic level of coding. Now imagine the dozens of codes this game alone has and the amount of hours with the amount of manpower put in to fix all these codes. I can guarantee they have coding professionals on their games which a lot of you would argue against even though you have nothing to prove it.

That was just to give a general idea what they have to do.

I don't know if they are goofing off or desperately trying to fix the problem. I can also bet that most of you don't know as well. We don't know their actions on what they do during their hours so calling them incompetent when you don't even know if they are working or slacking is really moronic to say the least.

@Tuba I never once called people incompetent in this thread. When I said "it comes back at you", I meant it as "you have to eat what you've said" if you can understand that terminology. You're also welcome to tell me where Nexon can find these expert coders. They aren't exactly "easy" to find. You claim all these things when in reality you don't have a single idea. You're merely giving off speculation with your own discomfort with the game and/or forums.

It wasn't meant as "if you don't know how to code then don't talk"; its a "don't claim you know what they are doing/spending on when you don't."

Hopefully that should clear some things up.
    You didn't directly call someone incompetent, but literally said:
    "You may want to give examples of what they can do with the code to fix it or show you have extensive knowledge about coding itself. Otherwise calling them incompetent comes right back at you."
    "calling them incompetent comes right back at you"
    What I said "if players don't know how to code and maintain the game like the game developers and technical team they are just as incompetent" and the statement you tried to correct me on "calling them incompetent comes right back at you" literally have similar meanings: if you can't do it yourself don't complain if someone else can't do it, which again is a really dumb argument considering that I should expect the EMPLOYEES to be able to do their job. They are obviously understaffed, but according to glassdoor, MapleStory is a $1 to $2 billion (USD) per year business. For them making that much money PER YEAR I would expect some pretty damn good coders. Again, It's not my job to know how to code or to give the coders and dev team tips, because I didn't sign a contract to work with Nexon, I also don't get paid by Nexon, and I haven't been taught/educated in the area of coding. They obviously need a better team, and from what I heard with the amount of people working there, they also need more staff. Finding a good coder isn't hard, but when Nexo doesn't like to hire people, because they want to save a few bucks for you company, it probably WOULD be hard to find a good coder.
    JettLuvsUKylehell007
  • The Blue CorsairThe Blue Corsair
    Reactions: 1,915
    edited January 2017
    This is very saddening.. I want to hope that they're still hosted.