[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Upcoming forced usage of Nexon launcher annoyance

chaoscauserchaoscauser
Reactions: 4,740
Member, Private Tester
edited February 2017 in General Chat
Why? WHY WHY

WHY force us to use something extra that makes the game EVEN MORE UNSTABLE, the launcher doesn't even always work, mines even stopped patching in recent times after it wouldn't work at all before. I would rather just launch it in it's current state than use another extra add on like Steam or the Nexon Launcher. Heck KMS in it's current state even allows you to not use the game launcher so why the need to do this?

Just make it how the EMS launcher was where you could just go directly back to the character select screen instead of relogging . Stop taking backwards steps removing things that don't need to be removed. Improve don't remove.

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/20725/maplestory-direct-launch-ending-march-23 If people haven't seen the article.....

Honestly this is ridiculous the launching just keeps getting even more unstable, the web launching was probably the most stable way and now they are going to remove the second most stable.

I actually think this could be the thing that makes me actually quit. Most people would rather not use these launchers it's just extra annoyance. Just because you at Nexon are focused on it doesn't mean it's a good idea for your community that you screw over time and time again I am honestly not going to be surprised if this game closes down in the future it's fallen hard and keeps falling. The community aspect of the game is almost completely gone except for a bit of end game bossing it's sad how an mmorpg which was always about working together has turned in to a single player focused game.
PirateIzzyAKradianBasuraLilyflowerIvangoldBooberpuppyCeleste123HHG1PonPonAsoredricand 8 others.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited February 2017
    TL;DR: "I don't like change, so I'm going to lash out over it"

The launcher's come a long way. There are still issues, but if they start focusing mostly on it instead of having to worry about people who direct-launch the game, then I see no reason to think they won't have those issues sorted in short order. At least it doesn't download the entire game again if you try to launch the game while the servers are down anymore. And any remaining issues it has at this point aren't so bad that simply restarting it or, rarely, your entire computer won't resolve them.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    I don't mind change if it's for the better which this isn't so stop bashing out at me on all my posts thanks. Any extra add on makes things worse for games which are completely not needed. Not everyone has beast computers you know?

I swear just make posts to raise your post count and not even read the full content of what people say ,Because if you did you would see my reasoning of why I dislike the fact they are doing this.
    PirateIzzyLilyflowerBooberpuppy
  • iamflipiamflip
    Reactions: 560
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »

The launcher's come a long way. There are still issues, but if they start focusing mostly on it instead of having to worry about people who direct-launch the game, then I see no reason to think they won't have those issues sorted in short order. At least it doesn't download the entire game again if you try to launch the game while the servers are down anymore. And any remaining issues it has at this point aren't so bad that simply restarting it or, rarely, your entire computer won't resolve them.

That's a extremely optimistic way of looking at it lol.

Problem is that the launcher has been flawed since the beginning, mired with technical issues and compatibility with games. Sometimes it gets fixed, sometimes there was a workaround. But there's always something new or something that lingers for a long time. Annoying, either way.

For me, MapleStory seems to crash far less often if I launch it directly. Mind that I do have it installed in Windows 10 and on an SSD. I can reinstall it and the launcher on a diff HD, but wouldn't go as far as reinstalling an entire OS just for one game. But what if that doesn't work? What then?

Also, having played Maple for years and dealing with numerous technical problems from the client, the servers, and everything in between... even I am a little wary that the issues with the launcher right now would be fixed before the March cutoff.
    KerBansotZeldaOfHyruleMomTeresa
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2017
    I don't mind change if it's for the better which this isn't so stop bashing out at me on all my posts thanks. Any extra add on makes things worse for games which are completely not needed. Not everyone has beast computers you know?

I swear just make posts to raise your post count and not even read the full content of what people say ,Because if you did you would see my reasoning of why I dislike the fact they are doing this.

I am very well aware of this fact.
    yxzq4FL.png
  • AnythingAnything
    Reactions: 1,385
    edited February 2017
    I think this is a stupid decision to remove it. It was one of the best features the game still had left. I highly doubt this will improve the Nexon Launcher.
    It's already hard to start the game without it crashing a couple of times. And now will be forced to completely log out of the game in order to login on a different account and we have to start the game again.
  • InvulgoInvulgo
    Reactions: 4,620
    edited February 2017
    We can still also launch the game from Steam! I keep both the Nexon Launcher and Steam MapleStory launch updated on my "beast" computer. Then I play MapleStory from a not so great but still okay-ish laptop by using the Nexon Launcher. I find it quite nice that it patches automatically while I afk, meaning I don't have to wait for the game to patch when I come home.

What I slightly dislike about the Nexon Launcher at the moment is how it doesn't seem to be able to remember region select, sometimes it just selects seemingly on random. However:

"The majority of our players are already using Nexon Launcher, and by discontinuing the older systems including direct launch, we will be able to focus our attention on making improvements to Nexon Launcher and providing a smoother patch experience for all of our upcoming updates."
    Most people would rather not use these launchers it's just extra annoyance. Just because you at Nexon are focused on it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I have like nine different Launchers installed right now for different companies that have multiple titles I sometimes play. Launching a game from a launcher seems to be the gaming industry standard these past years, and those that don’t have one yet are probably developing it. Gamelauncher.exe is like a blast from the past right now. I haven't used the gamelauncher.exe on a regular basis for years now. I totally get that not everyone is hyped about removing this option. I hope that there are better arguments than "the Nexon Launcher is meh" because it's really not that bad. I am able to use it on a computer (the laptop) that doesn't even fit the minimum requirements to play MapleStory.

The SSD argument is fair, same when it comes to switching accounts. Who knows, maybe that will be easier in the future.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    I'm pretty annoyed about this too. I haaaaaate hate hate the nexon launcher. Oftentimes, when the game crashes, I have to restart the Nexon Launcher too, cuz it keeps saying I'm still in-game. And with how often the game crashes on startup...

It'll also be a pain to switch accounts. Sometimes, when I need to do something more intensive than pressing a button ever 5 mins on my kanna or hs slave, I log them on my main pc.

Tbh, I'll probably be switching to steam instead of nexon launcher. I'll still have to switch steam accounts if I wanna relog, but it still seems to have fewer issues than the Nexon Launcher. Plus I'll be able to charge NX from my steam wallet. I usually already relaunch the game from Steam if I wanna buy nx, so this'll save some time on those once-in-a-blue-moon occasions (i.e. if they ever re-release the Fenenc Fox pet).
    KerBansotLilyflowerBahamut_XBooberpuppy
  • DorDor
    Reactions: 710
    edited February 2017

The launcher still forgets I have the game installed almost every time I open it, is often still claiming the game is under maintenance when the maintenance had already ended (a few weeks ago it remained so for hours, leaving the channels dead more than they are as is).

Attempting to "download" the game to the folder in which it already is installed to often properly detects it and attempts to verify the files, yet more often than not results an error saying the game could not be installed. During all these issues launching the game via GameLauncher.exe works just fine, besides, we still do not have the option to switch accounts in the game without switching accounts in the launcher, adding tedious work when I want to use another account.
    I do use the launcher but when these issues occur GameLauncher.exe is there to help, with that being removed there'd be no escaping these issues.

Nexon has a bad habit of providing services and features in a barely usable state if usable at all and taking years to resolve the simplest of issues.
    This game is coded so poorly it causes input lag in my entire system, while the newest triple A games run on the highest settings just fine, I have a GTX 980 with an i7 4790k, there's no reason this game should lag at all, but it does.
    Among the lag issues, evidence for poor code and quality management can be found by simply looking at the game's recent updates, causing false bans during the water wars event, issues with the anticheat (which is by far the most intrusive anticheat I have encountered to date), performance issues all around, etc.
    KerBansotPirateIzzyZeldaOfHyruleDeathmobsIvangoldBooberpuppyXemn
  • RadiantSightRadiantSight
    Reactions: 1,025
    edited February 2017
    When I start the game, I have minimal issues with Gamelauncher compared to Nexon launcher because of how Gamelauncher gives you more time to log in compared to Nexon launcher giving you a short window before they send you out of the game with a error that insults your internet connection/computer. Nexon launcher already suffers as much issues as Maplestory currently does.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited February 2017
    No lie, anything that creates more mediums or channels to get to your end point is an obstacle. i dont think ill be able to play cause i use a ssd drive to store maplestory thats why i use the direct game launcher from the app data file.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited February 2017
    Whenever Nexon sinks to its lowest point, they always find new ways to go lower.
    Its2Sharp4UDeathmobsLilyflowerBahamut_XIvangoldBooberpuppyDark20
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    The launcher is bad.
    I mean its not capable of upgrading files and loads forever.
    Also i think the launcher is the cause of the crashes.
    I miss the way we could start Maplestory EMS.
    Just a simply screen and you press play and you were immediately in the game.
    Now it takes like 10 minutes for my game to start up plus the crashes.
    chaoscauser
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2017
    The launcher is bad.
    I mean its not capable of upgrading files and loads forever.
    Also i think the launcher is the cause of the crashes.
    I miss the way we could start Maplestory EMS.
    Just a simply screen and you press play and you were immediately in the game.
    Now it takes like 10 minutes for my game to start up plus the crashes.

If it weren't capable of upgrading files, then no one would be using it because no one would be able to update the game through it. And it "loading forever" is no different than the updater of bygone days. Check your task manager next time there's a patch, you'll see the same MFCPatcher process running that ran with the old updater and the manual patches.

And the launcher is definitely not the cause of the crashes. Client instability has nothing to do with the method by which the client is launched. If there are stability issues with the client, it's gonna crash like hell no matter how you start it up.
  • DemonluckDemonluck
    Reactions: 615
    edited February 2017
    did anybody get the reward of use the nexon launcher like how can u tall if u get the reward
  • PhantomErevePhantomEreve
    Reactions: 1,105
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    The launcher is annoying as heck to use for anyone with multiple accounts. I don't see why they want to get rid of something that has conveniently worked for over 10 years and replace it with something lacking half the utility..
    Dark20
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited February 2017
    Demonluck wrote: »
    did anybody get the reward of use the nexon launcher like how can u tall if u get the reward

To quote the newspost on the main site
    As an added incentive, we will be giving out rewards! If you logged in to MapleStory using direct launch any time between 12:00 AM PST on January 1, 2016 and 12:00 AM PST on February 13, 2017, you can receive the following rewards if you log in to MapleStory using Nexon Launcher between 12:00 AM PST on February 13, 2017 and 12:00 AM PDT on April 7, 2017

It should be the giftbox icon on the left side of your screen, at the bottom of all the normal icons, and you have basically from now until April 6th at midnight Pacific time to claim it. You have nearly three weeks, starting today, to claim it.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited February 2017

As an added incentive, we will be giving out rewards! If you logged in to MapleStory using direct launch any time between 12:00 AM PST on January 1, 2016 and 12:00 AM PST on February 13, 2017, you can receive the following rewards if you log in to MapleStory using Nexon Launcher between 12:00 AM PST on February 13, 2017 and 12:00 AM PDT on April 7, 2017

It should be the giftbox icon on the left side of your screen, at the bottom of all the normal icons, and you have basically from now until April 6th at midnight Pacific time to claim it. You have nearly three weeks, starting today, to claim it.
    hes asking how nexon can tell who used the game launcher or nexon launcher

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2017
    hes asking how nexon can tell who used the game launcher or nexon launcher

Like most games I assume they would be tracking how the game is launched. Games with multiple launch methods track these for technical data and help with debugging.
  • TheHoATheHoA
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited February 2017

you seem to have missed the entire month of March if you think it's only 3 weeks until April 6th

Also think he's asking cause there's nothing there yet. "The rewards will be given out in each week's scheduled maintenance. You will be able to claim your rewards after the maintenance by clicking the gift box icon on the left side of the screen before 12:00 AM PDT on April 30, 2017."
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    This is a very bad idea, in my opinion.

The GameLauncher.exe is by far the most stable way of launching MapleStory. It won't try to redownload the entire game, it won't tell you you're still logged in, and it is, as far as I know, the only way to know if you're banned from the game, for what, and for how long.

How about instead of "focusing on the Nexon Launcher in the future", they first perfect it and only then get rid of the alternative?
    KerBansotCatoooloooZeldaOfHyruleFennekinLilyflowerOrionTempestBahamut_XBooberpuppySkyTheDestroyerDark20and 2 others.
This discussion has been closed.