[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

MapleStory Community Survey Results and Plans

Comments

• JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Need more and more people to speak out about their banning practices both in game and on forums. They can't ignore us all.

What is going on nexon it wasn't this bad a year ago.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited May 2017
    Apologies if I do not provide a response to everyone and their questions within this post.
    I see many questions and concerns I'd like to address, but some can better be answered by what we do as opposed to what we say. For topics related to hackers and ban appeals, we'll discuss with our appropriate teams such as the Customer Support and Investigations team again before providing more insight into the topics.
    AKradian wrote: »
    Arwoo wrote: »
    We have no plans to moderate members of the community on what they say outside of our official platforms.
    If a ban is placed it will only be due to an extreme case.

We want all members of the Maple community to feel welcomed on our forums. This means that if an extreme case occurs, we will take action to prevent individuals from having to endure defamation, harassment, and abuse.

Thank you for clarifying.

I would like to further ask, though: How does banning an extreme case from the official forums, prevent individuals from having to endure defamation, harassment, or abuse on other platforms?

Being removed from our platform wouldn't stop individuals from continuing their behavior on other platforms. However, if a platform supports public defamation, harassment, and abuse, it would be difficult for us to have presence on such platforms. We've seen that this is not the case for many of the fan sites and while some rules may differ, as long as they do not condone attacks on individuals we have no issues with having presence on those platforms.
    Okhura wrote: »
    I plan to think a little bit more about what I want to say on the hacker issues, which was the main focus of my survey feedback.

But I have a few questions about the discord server:
    How much actual Nexon staff presence will be there?
    Who will be running it on a day to day basis?
    Will the rules be exactly the same as the forum?
    Why are you planning an official one when there are several unofficial ones already?

Before I answer these questions, I'd like to provide more insight into what the official MapleStory Discord would entail.
    The official Discord's purpose is to create a space for the community to engage with staff and other Maplers.

Maplers shouldn't expect the official Discord to be a channel to report players, bugs, or seek account related support.
    We cannot rely on a real time chat for documenting bugs or feedback players wish to provide. For this very reason, we wish to direct more players to use our forums for documentation.

We plan to utilize the channel for:
    • Reach those who aren't vocal on the forums
    • Building a larger official MapleStory community platform
    • Discussing various topics with Maplers related to the game
    • Updating Maplers in real time the status of issues
    • Having more of our staff involved and aware of concerns within the community

Of course, this list is bound to grow and be refined as we continue to explore our experience with the channel.

1. How much actual Nexon staff presence will be there?

We're currently in discussion with our various teams for a full list of Nexon staff members who will have presence on the channel.
    For now I can confirm that the community, production, and QA teams will have presence on the channel.

2. Who will be running it on a day to day basis?

I will be managing the channel with the support of the VFMs.

3. Will the rules be exactly the same as the forum?

Some of the rules have been revised to better suit a live chat environment. We want to be more lenient with Maplers who participate on the channel. However, just like our forums, this will not be a channel to contact our Customer Support or post Customer Support related inquiries.

Why are you planning an official one when there are several unofficial ones already?

Overall, we want to open up a direct line of communication between Maplers and the MapleStory staff. We'd like to achieve this without playing favorites to any particular non-official channel.

Thank you Maplers for delivering us your feedback from the results of our survey.
    We'll be sure to keep everyone updated with further developments to our plans for improving our communication.
    CatoooloooSesomSlayerJettLuvsUAlexFbumbertyrRolls
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited May 2017
    Thank you for replying.

I have another question. In the first post there was feedback regarding transparency in what bugs are known but you do not say anything further on it.
    Is there anything planned so that players can know which bugs have been officially confirmed?
    JettLuvsU
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    We have no plans to moderate members of the community on what they say outside of our official platforms.
    If a ban is placed it will only be due to an extreme case.

We want all members of the Maple community to feel welcomed on our forums. This means that if an extreme case occurs, we will take action to prevent individuals from having to endure defamation, harassment, and abuse.

Thank you for clarifying.

I would like to further ask, though: How does banning an extreme case from the official forums, prevent individuals from having to endure defamation, harassment, or abuse on other platforms?

Being removed from our platform wouldn't stop individuals from continuing their behavior on other platforms. However, if a platform supports public defamation, harassment, and abuse, it would be difficult for us to have presence on such platforms. We've seen that this is not the case for many of the fan sites and while some rules may differ, as long as they do not condone attacks on individuals we have no issues with having presence on those platforms.

So, if "an extreme case" happens, you'll have to take it up with the moderators or administrators of the platform where it occurred.
    Why leave the "If a ban is placed it will only be due to an extreme case" clause in your post, then?
    And what purpose is served by Aggraphine's continued ban from the forums?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Before I answer these questions, I'd like to provide more insight into what the official MapleStory Discord would entail.
    The official Discord's purpose is to create a space for the community to engage with staff and other Maplers.

Maplers shouldn't expect the official Discord to be a channel to report players, bugs, or seek account related support.
    We cannot rely on a real time chat for documenting bugs or feedback players wish to provide. For this very reason, we wish to direct more players to use our forums for documentation.

If I understand this correctly, what this means is that when staff show up on the Discord and are (predictably) spammed with a variety of issues, they'll spam back with links to the forum and the customer support site?
    We plan to utilize the channel for:
    • Reach those who aren't vocal on the forums - Reach them in what way? To direct them to the forums? Since you don't plan to actually answer their issues or take their feedback there?
    • Building a larger official MapleStory community platform - For?
    • Discussing various topics with Maplers related to the game - Can't really hold a meaningful discussion in a spammy Discord. You just said that above.
    • Updating Maplers in real time the status of issues - And yet those updates will scroll up in smoke, and a Mapler coming in five minutes later won't know what's going on. Isn't it better to post more frequently on the forum or the website or twitter or fb or all of the above?
    • Having more of our staff involved and aware of concerns within the community - Get the staff to look at the forums or subreddit sometime.

Of course, this list is bound to grow and be refined as we continue to explore our experience with the channel.

Responses in bold.

1. How much actual Nexon staff presence will be there?

We're currently in discussion with our various teams for a full list of Nexon staff members who will have presence on the channel.
    For now I can confirm that the community, production, and QA teams will have presence on the channel.

No offense, but all these teams are supposed to have a presence on the forums, and none of them (except the CM) ever has time for it. At least not visibly (i.e., they never post). I really don't expect anyone to be on the Discord either. And if they do have time to talk to Maplers, in my humble opinion it's better that they use that time to answer relevant posts on the forums, than to go on Discord and tell people, "yeah, that sounds like a problem; make a Bug Report post and I'll make sure someone looks at it".
    2. Who will be running it on a day to day basis?

I will be managing the channel with the support of the VFMs.

Will you have time for this, on top of your other duties?
    As with the other staff, I'd rather you make useful posts on the forums (and reddit) than moderate and chit-chat on Discord. There are so many issues on the forums that get no official response whatsoever. I think you should figure out how to get Nexon to give the forums the attention they deserve, before you go spreading yourselves thin to yet another platform on which no meaningful answers will be given and no significant feedback can be collected beyond "Everyone on the Discord is screaming about this new bug" - which happens on the forums and reddit too, when a new patch breaks stuff.

And how do the VFMs feel about the added workload?

Overall, we want to open up a direct line of communication between Maplers and the MapleStory staff. We'd like to achieve this without playing favorites to any particular non-official channel.

Again: we supposedly already have a direct line of communication between Maplers and the MapleStory staff. It's these forums. Staff is supposed to be here responding to issues. If they don't have time for this, they won't have time for the Discord, and would just be wasting their time there trying to wade through spam and redirect people to the right places for cheater reports, bug reports, feedback and suggestions.

Bottom line:
    I recommend you talk to those of your GMs who participate in GM events in-game or otherwise go visible in game sometimes. Ask them what Maplers say when given a "direct line of communication" (while remembering that players in-game might fear the GM would ban them if they get too aggressive).
    Think long and hard whether this is what you want staff and VFMs spending their time on.

Bahamut_X
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Please post bar chart summaries of all the multiple-choice questions.
  • YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Thank you for the survey results.

I still got a couple of questions left related to this and the way I filled it in.

1. In the case of transparancy, would it be possible to get total amount of bans like now, divided per server?

2. How many GMs do we have for Maplestory and how much time do they spent online on servers (GM events excluded)?

3. Are our GMs for Maplestory only working on Maplestory or also on other games?

4. If I see obviously someone breaking the rules of the game and report him, why do I get answers back that further investigation is needed and when this exact same person is insulting GM's at a later time, by using smega's during a GM-event why was there no action taken (Luna, 30 April 2017)

5. I saw Combat Arms a different Nexon game has User Reports, since its the same company why can't we have something like that on our Maple forum?

6. Would it be possible for the GM's to be more known when they online? Our previous EMS GMs used to smega when they were online, banning hackers as well as helping out any players which needed their help.
    TanyaBahamut_XLilyflower
  • NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
    Reactions: 1,240
    edited May 2017
    I second what Tanya and Akradian (in the post about the discord) said. I think it would be better to have more quality replies on the forums then to risk spreading out answers even more. I also want to clarity a little what I mean by when I mentioned leniency earlier. In any disagreement I think it is important to figure out some common ground. Looking at the 2 big forum issues from the past era (Old MS and Aggraphine ban) I think it would be appropriate to give them something close to one time "get out of jail free cards" to mark the beginning of a new era of better communication and transparency. (thats just what I personally believe, if its really not possible to do then you can just pretend I didnt write that last sentence) I know there are probably policy and procedures to think about but surely there must be exceptions?

Coming back to the survey again, I would rather have someone say "we cannot give an answer for this right now but will come back in x number of days and give you an update." and then have that person come back when they said they would and give an update then to keep things the same. I notice with a lot of people they have a hard time telling what happened to their question, why their question could not be answered, if their question is being looked into or something else. More players could be willing to visit if they had higher expectations that their concern would actually get through to someone.

• Roni777Roni777
    Reactions: 1,180
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    This Discord is a very good idea. Especially if you have voice feature opened, not only message chat. So many players find a hacker but don't know how to report it. Or they do report it but it has reply time due to using ticket or forum. But using voice discord, players can directly talk to Community Manager or GM and report the hacker. The GM can just teleport to the map, to the channel and ban the hacker. pretty simple will just take few mins of processing. Using a ticket to report hacking is not convininient because players can can make false report/making many accounts and GM hardly can know if the report is true or not. But through discord voice, GM/CM can talk directly to the person and decide whether the person who report it, is true or not. Through time , after GM knows more of the legit players who always help reporting hackers, the response time can get faster and better.
  • AleksAleks
    Reactions: 810
    edited May 2017
    Man I wish I got to participate in this. Honestly hackers aren't a top priority to players, they cost Nexon money therefore they're a high priority issue. For the most part they don't bother the community/harass players.

Bug fixes, and small updates to encourage a more social experience are more important. Expand the buddy lists so we can interact with more people and bring back party based areas.

This is a solo game at this point unless you have a frenzy you may use a Kanna (usually a mule or someone you pay) to afk. There's little to no reason to interact with others except for bosses like Lucid.

There is no benefit for players to "team up" nowadays it's just funded players being nice and helping weaker players through more difficult bosses (carrying). It's not a team effort just 1 person killing and the others repeaning the rewards.

Also merging some regular servers would be nice since Reboot took over and old school players who've worked on their characters for years and enjoy the trading aspect of the game are being left behind.
  • TubaTuba
    Reactions: 3,175
    edited May 2017
    ----