[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Let's Talk... Recent Events with Kanna

ArwooArwoo
Reactions: 17,755
edited October 2017 in Announcements
Recently, there have been many discussions of whether or not it's safe to play as Kanna, due to the number of Kanna related ban appeals that have been appearing. On the surface, this sounds like an easy enough question to answer, but in reality, there's a lot going on behinds the scenes.

Let's first get the facts out of the way. The community knows that certain classes are most popular with hackers and we know this as well. It should also be to no surprise that Kannas were the main focus in our recent attempt to combat the issue of hackers in MapleStory. Over 1,000+ illegitimate Kannas were banned as a result of this recent action, but it's also a fact that in the past, our banning procedure has made some errors as stated by our CS & Investigations team here. Due to this, we're just as careful and wary about this whole ordeal alongside the community, and we're doing all we can to make sure there are zero errors.

Going back to the original statement: "On the surface, this sounds like an easy enough question to answer, but in reality, there's a lot going on behinds the scenes." There's a reason why much of the information regarding the banning and appealing procedure must be behind closed curtains. It's the same issue that we're dealing with currently with hackers submitting ban appeals pretending to be legitimate. It should also be to no surprise that illegitimate users take advantage of community platforms. As candid as we'd like to be with the community, the release of sensitive information would ultimately harm the integrity of the game if fallen into the wrong hands.

At this point in time, we will continue to do our best to investigate Kannas who were banned and submitted an appeal. While this may not address the immediate concerns with playing Kanna, we do hope that this provides the community with further understanding.
chaoscauserGeorgiaLXIXdarikHardmuscleJulyInvulgoscholar624KrantzSlepyLovSherriand 3 others.

Comments

• GeorgiaLXIXGeorgiaLXIX
    Reactions: 520
    edited October 2017
    ;A;!!! Not sure about this, but i don't want to lose hope, please guys work hard on this investigation,!!
  • AiosiaryAiosiary
    Reactions: 350
    edited October 2017
    Thank you for at least commenting further on it instead of "all of the people banned were hackers and I'm disappointed with the community for trying to lie".
    darikSherri
  • AbyssityAbyssity
    Reactions: 410
    edited October 2017
    But the real question...Is it safe?
  • AiosiaryAiosiary
    Reactions: 350
    edited October 2017
    Abyssity wrote: »

Don't risk it. Genuinely. It's Nexon. Wait until it's said in plain text that it's safe, not in their odd language of indirect confirmation.
    PetalmagicReymuuSherri
  • AbyssityAbyssity
    Reactions: 410
    edited October 2017
    Aiosiary wrote: »
    Abyssity wrote: »

Don't risk it. Genuinely. It's Nexon. Wait until it's said in plain text that it's safe, not in their odd language of indirect confirmation.

I dont plan to but i was hoping if Arwoo was going to reply he'd at least shed some light on how to avoid it or if theyre not not just auto banning kannas.
  • TropicBubbleTropicBubble
    Reactions: 200
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    Regardless of the accuracy (or lack thereof) of your recent bans, I still can't help but be hesitant to play my Kanna. This is extremely frustrating to me as a player in Reboot, because meso farming is such an integral part of it, and Kanna is far and away the most efficient way to grind out mesos. It is frustrating to me as a filthy casual, because I have a small number of hours in a week that I can actually play this game, and I typically spend the majority of it farming as a kanna so that I can power up my main to take on endgame mobs/bosses (I also find it stupid that I end up spending more time on a Kanna than on my main, but thats a different issue).

I sincerely hope you guys get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible, and can assure players that it is safe to use a Kanna without fear of losing many hours of dedication to the game.
  • 2Short2Post2Short2Post
    Reactions: 640
    edited October 2017
    Hackers use Kannas to farm mesos. The community understands that but why not be clear/transparent to the community about a simple step? instead of saying oh we ban 1000+ Kannas a day, how many Kannas people's bans gets overturned?

Give us a number, is this too much to compromised the security of the system?

Issue here isn't really that Kannas are getting banned. Its that people are getting falsely banned and given copypastaed while nexon just saying they are right. All you need to do is to prove it to us you are overturning and saying sorry we fucked up here. Give us the live chat logs where GM says oh I've looked at your account we made a mistake, give us the email logs where GM says our Investigations team looked at the allegations and we've made a mistake. Redact names servers if you have to.

EDIT: to clarify for Nexon. To err is human, system/people mess up is normal and its okay we get that, But all the overturning of false positives seems to be community becoming the advocate for the individual. You the company should be the biggest advocate for the legit players not the community.
    MattyAmityNyaraDarkZettaReymuuKat27Sherri
  • KhongiKhongi
    Reactions: 2,140
    edited October 2017
    Hi hi,

So I've been waiting for the dark lords event to get my totems on two kannas but since there have been so many kanna bans ATM I'm wondering if it's clear to even consider logging onto them to play (since it requires some farming for the dark lord items.)
  • HishotodoHishotodo
    Reactions: 960
    edited October 2017
    Look at this thread. This is so sad.
    You've managed to make an official statement yet continue to go untrusted. I am in the same boat with the others in this thread, I can't trust you or your game to not ban me if I play my Kanna. Even if I've had my account for over 10 years and have never once been banned or accused of hacking.

How can we trust what you say when every person whose sent in an appeal has been given crap auto-replies and been threatened to be banned from the support system? I haven't personally seen any person affected by the ban come up and say "Support helped me get my account back!" Does that mean everyone banned is a hacker? Or is every person, legit or not, getting turned away?

What about this thread which has a full video of his kanna's existence and it getting banned? Is he not innocent? We can't tell 100% and you aren't helping.

You know, I can understand how difficult it to separate legitimate players from illegitimate players during a ban appeal, but if there's a crisis that your autoban system is nuking people playing a certain class permanently, then maybe a change somewhere needs to happen. Especially if everyone is getting hit with autoreplies from your support. Maybe an immediate bandaid fix is necessary so you can look into the issue further without worry of an increasing number of false-positives. (Don't let the autoban permanently ban people, close creation of Kanna for a limited time, something to slow the flow of damage.) It's been over a week now, it's only getting worse.

#kannalivesmatter
    RennnSherri
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited October 2017
    Oh my god, this is creepy. So last night I had a dream that I was playing on my Kanna. I accidently had my key pressing when I was saying "Kishin." and it turned out "Kishin @@@@" and then my game closes suddenly. I go back to see what's wrong and it says I was banned for hacking. I freak out and have to appeal with Nexon and quarrel for who knows how long before they say "Oh sorry, we fudged up, here have your acct back.' But guess what...I can't go into rankings anymore due to ban. End of dream sequence.
  • EffortlessEffortless
    Reactions: 1,580
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    So is it safe?
  • FuschiaFuschia
    Reactions: 905
    edited October 2017
    If you wanna farm mesos on Reboot, just play NL.
  • Nightcrawl3rNightcrawl3r
    Reactions: 1,140
    edited October 2017
    Fuschia wrote: »
    If you wanna farm mesos on Reboot, just play NL.

How is NL any good at meso farming? If I was looking for a different class I'd rather go with Phantom.
  • SoephaaiSoephaai
    Reactions: 775
    edited October 2017
    It's probably true that many people use the Kanna class to hack or bot on, since it has Kishin after all and it would require you to only use a single computer. With this idea you decided to increase/or change the autobans on kanna in particular, despite this influencing normal Kanna players. You admit this probably influences legit Kanna's as well and while you do say, that you and Nexon is looking into that, the reactions of people have shown copy-pasted responses and the like, and I have not heard a single case of a Kanna getting unbanned since this stuff (and I would believe they'd be at least vocal about it)

So in the end, what this statement means for maining a kanna: You have a higher chance of getting caught in the auto-ban system than other classes for some reason, and if you do get banned, there is still a slim chance to get unbanned, and probably requires a high amount of effort with support. I think it's ridiculous that a class has a higher chance of an automatic permanent ban than any other, which could trigger just by playing normally.

If your system DOES fail to function 100% of the time, doesn't that mean you should have some way of checking BEFORE you permanent ban anyone that triggers the faulty system? Even if you do decide to unban legit players after investigation, should the risk of the ban being faulty, and therefore the effort of support tickets, live chat, and proving yourself as legit REALLY fall upon the Kanna players? Shouldn't that be with Nexon instead? This really bothers me.
    Sherri
  • floppydingofloppydingo
    Reactions: 535
    edited October 2017
    The way you word things is so roundabout, I get you can't really do anything as a CM but at least respect the community enough to give it to us straight.
    If anything what you wrote here should make players feel more paranoid to play a Kanna, seeing as all you said was yeah there's a lot of Kanna bans.
    Sherri
  • LemonPartaeLemonPartae
    Reactions: 860
    edited October 2017
    Sure hope my account gets unbanned soon. Missing out on all these yearly events :>[
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    The saddest part of all this is that the hackers have already figured out how to avoid triggering the auto-ban, and are swarming all their usual haunts, while legits are afraid to play their Kannas.
    JulyRennnLittleMissRamenSherri
  • floppydingofloppydingo
    edited October 2017
    What's needed is active real GMs not an auto ban system, but how do you get a company to spend profits on hiring people?
    Sherri
  • KThxBaiNaoKThxBaiNao
    Reactions: 11,690
    edited October 2017
    Give everyone something more than just some overly safe PR response in attempt to appease them.

Release some numbers if you want the community to trust that you’re doing something. Something like:

“Hey Maplers,

We’re still working on a concrete fix for the issues some of you are having with your Kannas. While we cannot go into more revealing details, we can share some numbers with you.

Over ‘A’ accounts have been banned as a result of these Kanna issues.
    ‘B’ players have submitted tickets to have their cases reviewed. Out of these, ‘C’ players have been released as false positives and ‘D’ players’ bans have been confirmed as hackers/exploiters.

We’re sorry for any frustration or farming/training delays these issues have caused. Rest assured, that we are hard at work to resolve these as quickly and painlessly as possible.”
    floppydingoRetr0_GeorgiaLXIXRennnKat27CatooolooomuhhaLittleMissRamenManiOhbazzyand 4 others.
  • floppydingofloppydingo
    edited October 2017
    KThxBaiNao wrote: »
    Give everyone something more than just some overly safe PR response in attempt to appease them.

Release some numbers if you want the community to trust that you’re doing something. Something like:

“Hey Maplers,

We’re still working on a concrete fix for the issues some of you are having with your Kannas. While we cannot go into more revealing details, we can share some numbers with you.

Over ‘A’ accounts have been banned as a result of these Kanna issues.
    ‘B’ players have submitted tickets to have their cases reviewed. Out of these, ‘C’ players have been released as false positives and ‘D’ players’ bans have been confirmed as hackers/exploiters.

We’re sorry for any frustration or farming/training delays these issues have caused. Rest assured, that we are hard at work to resolve these as quickly and painlessly as possible.”

You're good at that. Man they should give you a job.... Again
    SherriTropism